Chapter 16: Goodbye for Now

The next day, during the afternoon, everyone waited with Kitsune at the train station. Chris stood right beside her, holding her hand- wearing the same hooded cloak from yesterday. Kitsune glanced up at him, noticing he was struggling to keep a blank face. His mouth twitched, as if holding back a frown.

She hummed a bit, reaching up a bit and rubbing his back- getting his attention. She smiled a little, trying to be assuring. "It's ok, Chris... Like I said, I'll be back as soon as I'm able to..." She gently reminded him, rubbing his knuckles with her finger. At that point, he gave up on trying to keep a straight face.

"I know that... It's just- it feels way too soon after these last few days... The only reason I confessed yesterday was because I didn't know if I'd get another chance to." He explained. Kitsune frowned a bit, hugging him.

"I know... I guess we were so caught up in getting to know each other, we both forgot that I wasn't supposed to stay here..." She stated, sighing afterwards. "Even though I really want to..." She added.

"...Forgive me if I'm looking too much into it, but... I can't help but notice how... unenthused you look..." Chris started off. "If I recall correctly, you said something about your family being, err... Less than ideal. Would that happen to be why?" He asked.

"You have zero idea..." Kitsune muttered, shaking her head. "It's because of my brother that I'm even leaving. Trust me, if I had things my way, the only reason I'd leave is to get all my stuff so I can move here permanently." She stated.

Chris stood in silence, processing what she had just said. "...What do you mean your brother is the reason you're leaving?" He asked, voice dead serious at this point. Kitsune felt a chill go up her spine from the new tone he was using.

"Uhh... H-He sent me a letter telling me to come home. If I don't, then he'd send someone to get me..." She answered, looking down. "...And if that were the case... Then I'd definitely be in trouble..."

Chris gritted his teeth, fighting the urge to raise his voice. He took a moment, trying to calm down. "Right... I'm not going to ask you what happened, not now... But you aren't hurt or anything, right? No bruises? No scars?" He asked, genuinely concerned.

"No, no, no injuries. It isn't physical abuse." Kitsune responded.

At this point, Shirley had tuned in to the conversation. "...I don't think I like how calmly you said that, sugar..." She commented.

"She's right, dear. Abuse is abuse- no matter what type." Chris added.

"I know that, but... Yeah." Kitsune sighed. Chris was about to speak up again, but just as he was, the train whistle was distantly heard. And like that, everyone went silent. "I guess that's me..." Kitsune mumbled, looking back at everyone.

"Thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome here... I promise, as soon as I get a chance, I WILL come back..." She stated, smiling sadly at her new family and friends. Tony and Paige threw themselves into her legs, hugging her tightly- crying.

"Oh, sweethearts.." She whispered, crouching down and attempting to comfort the poor children. "Shh, shh, shhhh..." She tried to soothe them, rubbing their backs.

"We don't want you to go!!" Paige wailed.

"I know, Paige, I don't want to go either..." Kitsune assured them, patting them both. "But while I'm gone, I don't want you to be sad... Please, just continue to be happy, alright? I'm gonna be gone for a bit, yes, but I promise I'm gonna come right back when I first get a chance. Be good, alright?" She gave a weak smile.

"W-We will..." "We love you..!" The children responded.

"I love you too... Goodbye, now... I'll be back before ya know it." Kitsune stated, kissing their heads.