Chapter 1: The Investigation Begins

The next morning, Kitsune awoke to the sun shining through her windows. With a yawn, she pushed herself upright into a sitting position. Turning to the clock, she realized it was 7:00 a.m. "Time to get up.." She yawned, slowly getting out of bed and fixing the blankets so they'd look more neat.

After getting dressed and brushing her teeth and hair, she began heading out. She wanted to get to investigating as quickly as possible. She bid Adres and Shirley a farewell, saying she'd see them later as she walked out the inn doors.

Her first stop was a bakery... Mainly because she had forgotten to eat breakfast, and she was getting quite hungry. Walking through the automatic doors, she immediately noticed three young women- all with white hair. One woman -the only one with a black streak- greeted her with a friendly smile. "Hello! Welcome to Starflower Bakery! My name is Lily, how may I assist you?" She asked.

Before Kitsune could answer, another one of the women spoke up. "Hey, you're the journalist, ain't ya?" She asked. Kitsune looked over at her, a bit surprised. She was only one of the three that had glasses and a scar that extended from both sides of her mouth to across her cheeks.

"Yeah- how'd you know?" The journalist asked.

"Shirley told us- whenever there's a new person in town, she's typically the first to know. And she tells everyone immediately after." The taller woman stated, adjusting her glasses.

"Anyways, my name is Rose. That over there is Daisy." She said, pointing to the last white haired woman.

"Nice to meet you all." Kitsune said, the others nodding in response.

"Anyways, what'd you wanna order?" Lily asked.

"Right, uhhhh.. I'll take a cocoa and a chocolate croissant, thank you." Kitsune replied.

"You got it!" Lily chirped, getting to work on the order.

"Lily here always makes the pastries, Daisy helps too. I typically work the counter." Rose explained.

"Ah, I see." Kitsune responded.

"If I may ask, what's your current project about?" Daisy asked, finally speaking up.

"Oh, I'm here to investigate the rumor about that mansion in the middle of the woods. Is there anything you guys can tell me about that, by any chance?" Kitsune questioned.

"Hmm... Well, I've seen him a few times." Rose stated.

"Wait, really? I figured he's never been seen." Kitsune commented, a bit surprised.

"Yeah, typically, he's not. Not a lot of people go out late at night. That's mostly because of the disappearances." Daisy piped in. "He was getting food from random shops, and other necessities. I'll be honest, I don't think he saw me, because he didn't do anything to signify that he did." She added

With a nod, Kitsune wrote the fact that he could be seen at night on occasions in her journal. "Did you see his face?" She asked.

"Nope- he was wearing a cloak. He's pretty tall though- like, probably six feet tall. Though, I think Charon has. He's out pretty late sometimes." Rose answered.

Quickly writing into her journal once more, Kitsune looked up at her. "Charon?" She repeated.

"Charon works at the local church with his father and best friend, Norman. They're usually outside at this time, so you could probably find them." Lily explained, setting a small brown paper bag and a disposal coffee cup on the counter.

"Ah, thanks. I'll have to go there next." Kitsune said, handing Lily some money as payment. "Well then, I'll see you all some other time. Thank you for the information, and have a nice day." She added, walking out the door.