A New Chapter - Chapter 2

I sat down with Justin in the only seats that were left. April noticed us and turned towards Justin.

    "Hey, Justin. Again," she said.

    "Hey, April. Here, I want you to meet Matt," he replied.

    I became really scared for a moment. Didn't Sam tell me not to talk to her? I pulled Justin over for a second.

    "Dude, remember? I'm not supposed to get near her or whatever," I whispered.

    "Bro, it's alright. Sam's just being a jerk. He has no right over who you want to be friends with."

    "Oh, well then... okay," I said as we both sat back up in our chairs.

    April smiled. "Everything okay?" she asked.

    "Uhh yeah. Hi, I'm M-Matt," I said. Shit. I stuttered.

    "Hello, Matt. I'm April," she said while giving the most gorgeous laugh ever. When she laughed, her cheeks got all red.

    "I'm new here.. Just moved from Bridgewater, Connecticut."

    "Never heard of it... So how are you liking it so far in Elk Grove?" she asked.

    "I wasn't enjoying it too much, but I like it now that I have two friends," I said sarcastically.

    "Yeah, life can be a bitch when you don't have friends," she muttered. Then she turned to Justin. "Hey, have you heard from Sarah lately? I think she tried to apologize to me the other day but she ran away. I haven't seen her since."

    "Hmm... I talked to her on FaceBook last Friday. I think that's it though. We're not very close like we used to be." Justin said.

    "Figures. Matt, please don't ever end up like Sarah or Sam," she said, turning back to me.

    "And why is that? Sam seemed kind of nice at lunch," I said, seeing if I could squeeze out a little of the story.

    "Well, I'll tell you some other time. I don't think Mrs. Etchinson's English class is really the place for long, dramatic stories."

    "Agreed."

    We basically just talked about me moving over here for the rest of the period. Sometimes Sam would be mentioned, but the subject would be very quickly changed. I was beginning to wonder...

2nd Day of School - August 17, 2010

    The rest of yesterday was boring. My schedule was pretty confusing, but since I have 5 classes with Justin, it wasn't so bad. My classes were:

1st Period: Geometry - Mrs. Moore

2nd: Biology - Mrs. Blackwood

3rd: Band - Mr. Sebastian

4th: English - Mrs. Etchinson

5th: P.E. - Mr. Palmier

6th: History - Mr. Mckinney

    In the classes that I have April in, we sit almost right next to each other. Her last name is Flowers, and mine is Fox, so we're pretty much together on everything. Teachers always don't let people sit wherever they want for the first month of school so that they can get to know everyone's names. Justin is near me most of the time because his last name is Case. I swear, it seems like everyone hear has something weird about their name. Justin Case? Seriously? April Flowers? It kept getting weirder. There was this kid in my History class named Dana Soares. And she had a little southern accent so it sounded like she said dinosaurs!

    Dana seemed really nice too. My first impression of her was that she was one of those too-happy, over-peppy girls, but she's really funny. She's only about 5 feet tall and has short brown hair. She has super big brown puppy dog eyes. In History, we had to partner up, so I got to know her better. "Hi, I'm Matt," I said.

    "Dude!! That's an awesome name!!" she replied with a giant grin.

    "Uh... why?" I was a little weirded out.

    "Because! You can be called Door Matt! Ha! Hi, I'm Dana!" she said.

    "Shhhhhh!" Mr. Mckinney was annoyed.

     "Better not provoke the dude," I said.

    "Ha! Okay! Anyways, you're that new kid right?"

    "Yes," I groaned, "Seems like everyone in this whole town knows when there's a new person."

    "Well, the place is only like 4 square miles big. Everyone knows everyone here! Watch this," she said. "Hey, Mary!" She called over this girl named Mary, who turned out to be her best friend. "You know Nick, right?"

    Mary replied, "The one who dated Allison or the one who flunked last year?"

    "See, Matt, there's not a whole lot of people to keep track of."

    "Well then, I guess who I know I'll keep in touch with if I ever want to know something about someone," I said jokingly.

    "Yeah! Ask me anything!" Dana looked really excited that she could gossip with me.

    "Well, there is this thing..." I started.

    "WHAT IS IT!" she yelled.

    "Okay, you know Sam Merrika right?" I asked.

    "Of course! He's my other best friend! We're practically siblings!"

    "So what's the deal with him and that April girl?"

    "Oh... that's kinda, well, really personal. Not something I should be telling you, but..."

    "But what?" I really wanted to know.

    "I guess I can tell you a little teeny part of the story. Okay, so Sam and April dated for like, 6 months, then he-" Just then, the bell rang. "Whoops! I gotta go! Bye Matt! Nice meeting you!" Great, so I still have no idea, I thought to myself. I didn't know why I was so obsessed with wanting to know what happened, but I really felt like I would need to know later. That night, I made a FaceBook. Worst mistake of my life.