A New Chapter

New day. New school. New friends. New drama. New arguments. New teachers. New house. New car. New people. New everything. Ever since my dad got this new job, my life has been turned upside down. We moved from Bridgewater, Conncecticut to Elk Grove, California, which I didn't even know existed. Anyways, the company got us a house, car, insurance, and basically everything else.

    My name is Matthew Fox, and I am 14 years old. I just finished 8th grade, so I'm going into high school now. I would be excited, except for the fact that I'm not going to know anyone. I'll have no friends and no idea where anything is in the school. I'm going to some place called Elk Grove High School, which has some statue of a deer in front of it. Oh, wait. It's an elk. Duh. I'm stupid.

First Day of School - 8/16/10

    I walked through the front gates to face total chaos. I already missed my friends and comfort at Shepaug Valley Middle School. People were lined up everywhere, getting their schedules, locker numbers, lunch periods, and comparing classes with friends. I stood there, alone. The first bell rang and I looked down at my schedule. Geometry. Great. After about 8 minutes of looking, I found the classroom. The teacher, Mrs. Moore, excused my tardy because it was the first day of school and I was new. She introduced me in front of the whole class, which I was most definately NOT comfortable with, then gave me a seat. The rest of the period was just her talking about her late work policies and other mumbo jumbo.

    The next class I had was Biology. It was right next to the math wing, so I was one of the first people in the classroom. I sat down in the back, trying to go unnoticed. The class slowly filled up, until almost everyone was there. A few seconds before the bell rang, the door opened. A girl walked in, or, was it a girl? Maybe she was an angel. She was beautiful. With a little farther than shoulder length dirty blonde hair, eyes so green and full you'd think you're in a rainforest if you stared into them too long, and a really beautiful face. She was kind of short. Well, really short. But that didn't matter. I haven't seen a girl like this since.... well, nevermind.

    She sat 2 rows in front of me, talking to some Asian kid with a weird pimple thing on his neck. It looked weird. I could already tell that Biology was going to be a VERY boring class, but now with that girl in here it might get better.

    After an even more boring period than the first, I was hoping band would be different. I walked to the Band room, which wasn't too hard to find, and quickly realized that this is one of the most prideful schools I'd ever see. The band was ENORMOUS. Everyone sat down, and I just kind of stood there. The teacher, Mr. Sebastian, told me to sit with the drums for now. As I walked over, however, I noticed a little blonde head in the clarinet section. It was her! This was turning out to be great. The drums section was pretty nice since it had about 12 guys and girls. That one Asian kid from Biology sat next to me. I decided to talk to him.

    "Hey, I'm Matt," I said to him.

    "Oh, hey dude. Are you new?" he replied.

    "Um, yeah. I just moved here last Wednesday."

    "Woah! Where from?"

    "Bridgewater."

    "Where in God's name is that?"

    "It's a little town in Connecticut... the population is only 1,727."

    "Wow, that's pretty tiny. So um, I'm Justin."

    "Cool. So... do you have a Wii?"

    "Yes, dude! I live for my Wii! I hate X-Boxes though."

    "Me too!"

    We talked for the rest of the period about video games and cool places to hang out. We had a lot in common, and I discovered later that we had 5 out of our 7 classes together. At lunch, he introduced me to his friends.

    "Guys, meet Matt. Matt, meet the guys." Justin said as we walked into a circle of 3 guys. "Matt, this is Brandon, Sam, and Josh."

    "Hey guys," I said casually.

    "Hey," they all replied.

    "So dude, I was on Halo 3 the other night and I totally sticked this guy with his own grenade!" Brandon said as he turned back to Josh.

    "Oh God, dude, we don't care. Haven't you noticed? You're the ONLY one with an X-Box here!" Sam said. "Okay, so I finally beat Sonic Adventure 2 the other day! The stupid Biolizard was a bitch to kill. I had to look up a walkthrough... but still! I beat it!"

    "Good for you," Justin said.

    "So dudes," I chimed in, "know any chicks around here?"

    Sam instantly perked up. "Dude, I'm the love guru. Just ask me and I'll set you up with ANYONE you want!" He said this with such an evil grin it made me laugh. I looked to Justin and he just nodded. "I'm a genius!"

    "Okay, so do you know a girl with dirty blonde hair and green eyes?" I asked.

    "Yeah. Dude, in Elk Grove, that's what most girls are." Sam replied.

    "Okay, there's this one I saw that I need to know the name of," I said. "She's pretty short, but really beautiful. She laughs alot and plays clarinet in band."

    "Oh, shit.." Josh muttered. He turned away.

    Sam got really serious and very calmly said, "She's off limits."

    "What do you mean?" I asked. I was very confused.

    "You aren't going to date her, and neither is anyone else that is my friend. I swear to God, don't even think about it."

    "Well why not?" I asked. I knew I was pushing his buttons, but I just wanted to know why I wasn't allowed to at least hit on the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

    "Because I said so!" And with that, he walked away and the bell rang. Justin came up beside me as I walked to English.

    "Dude, I'm sorry," he said.

    "So who is this girl?" I asked.

    "Her name's April Flowers, and she basically shattered Sam to a million pieces." he replied.

    "That's a really pretty name... But what happened?"

    Just at that moment, we walked into English. Who is sitting in the seat next to the only two open ones? Of course.