His hand backtracked and went over the skin at the side of his neck again. He frowned before moving Harry's hair to the side to take a look only to find a failed bond mark. It looked forceful. That's the thing about bond marks. You can tell when it was forced versus when it was not. Bond marks accepted willingly usually permanently remain in a light pink colour, closer to your skin tone whereas forced ones are darker. Harry's was the latter. It was dark and his omega seemed to have refused heavily since it failed, but it was obvious to anyone who saw it, that it was in fact a failed bond mark.

Louis saw red. Anger flared within him. His alpha felt restless, and angry beyond his own comprehension. It was in that moment that Harlow woke up. She pulled back from the crook of Louis's neck and tilted her head, observing him. "Don't hurt mama," she whispered in a small voice. Louis looked away from Harry's neck and looked at the small omega, now awake.

"I won't hurt him darling." Louis frowned.

"You're angry and when alphas get angry, they hurt me and mama. My uncle is nice though, but see-" she lifted her long sleeve up and displayed blue and black bruised skin.

His anger held onto him, choking him tightly until it consumed him, but he forced himself to cut it out, hide the scent of burning pine in mere seconds. It was a skill he learned during his years carrying out his 'side job.'

He moved the hand that was not wrapped around Harry and took Harlow's wrist in his hand and brought it closer. "Who did this to you, Harlow?" he asked, having heard Harry mention the name.

She looked at Harry, biting her lip much like Harry did when he was thinking before redirecting her attention to Louis. "Papa," she whispered, into the air quietly, the very word turning her skin pale.

Louis furrowed his eyebrows. "He is an alpha. Mama said he won't hurt us anymore. He hurt mama a lot. 'S why he was scared of you," she explained, quite eloquently.

"How old are you?"

"I'm five."

No child should have to deal with that. The little omega was so innocent. He brought the hand closer and kissed a bruise which made her giggle. "Mama does that. Mama cries a lot." She looked at Harry with sad eyes. "I wish papa never hurt him." Louis sighed as he placed another kiss on the small wrist in his grasp.

"No one will hurt you, Harlow."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "You don't know that and mama–he's so sad. He looks at his leg and he cries. He says he's useless. My mama is not useless." She was adamant to get her words across.

Louis's lips twitched up into a small smile. "No, he is not. He's beautiful." Louis looked at Harry, tucked into his side, asleep, peacefully.

Harlow smiled, dimples falling into place and Louis melted. This may not be his child, but the attachment he felt was strong. Not only to Harlow, but to Harry as well. The omega's sweet scent wrapped around him in familiarity, and Louis would be foolish to let go.

"Aren't you cute?" Louis smiled at Harlow. She giggled again and Louis loved it. It made him wonder what Harry would sound like, laughing.

A flight attendant stopped by to ask them what they would like to eat. "What can I get for you, sir?" The man—clearly an alpha—directed the question towards him.

Louis turned to Harlow, his grip around Harry going firm when the omega tensed in his sleep. "What would you like Harlow?"

She thought before looking over at Harry. "I don't mind anything. Mama must be hungry too," she added thoughtfully.

Louis smiled before turning to the alpha who was staring at Harry's leg with a curled nose. "Unless you want me to talk to Mr. Payne, I suggest you keep your judgements to yourself," his voice was darker, clipped.