A Monster Against Monsters

Start from the beginning

The blonde grabbed him by his collar, giving it a slight tug as she leaned over him. "I'm serious, Cal. Don't you dare, or I'll—" The flush of his cheeks as he blinked up at her had her own face heating up. She released him, and he flopped back. "Just don't do it," she mumbled, turning away.

A (not) perfect moment for Thisbe to approach the blonde with a glass of water for the patient and press it into Phoe's hands. The Manabe woman spoke quietly, just to her. "He's pretty dehydrated. Make sure he drinks it all." The fact that she'd chosen Phoe out of all of them only worsened the burning of her cheeks, and if she chewed any harder on the inside of them, they were bound to start bleeding. Her mouth felt like sandpaper too, and she was half-tempted to chug the glass herself. She sighed and faced Callan again, offering it out to him. "Sit up. Drink."

Cal eased himself up, propping his body against his elbow as he took the cup. Part of him hoped hers might linger there, but as soon as the water was firmly in his grasp, her hand darted away. "Thanks," he said. The shifter was nearly done guzzling the drink when an off-handed comment had him choking and spitting out what was left like a fountain. "Looks like someone's thirsty." A few of the others spun around too, as they recognized that familiarly snide mockery. Erzia was on her feet, though she leaned against Sol for a bit more support, the telepath towering over the petite sorceress. She arched a brow, her expression otherwise impassive until a smirk rose. "But I guess that's nothing new."

Callan sputtered, choking on the water. He set the glass down, cough violently as it went down the wrong pipe and gasping for air. "I—"

Phoena grabbed the cup so it wouldn't spill, steadying Callan and hushing him as he wheezed. Rebuffing Erzia wasn't going to happen when he could barely form a word, and even then, the telepath had a way of spinning a person's words in her favor. Cal was better off keeping quiet. Slowly, the hacking lulled and Phoe used returning the glass to Thisbe as an excuse to avoid engaging with Erzia. She regarded the telepath once she was done, shifting their conversation elsewhere. "Sounds like you're feeling better."

"Still breathing, so I'll count that a win." Erzia shrugged. With a small assist from Sol, she straightened up and stopped using the sorceress as a crutch.

"It will still take some time for your body to fully recover," Kairos told her. He, Kels, Merritt, and Thisbe had moved off to the side once they'd done all they could for the Runeholders' injuries to discuss the matter of Adalin's memorial. "You should be okay to walk the camp now. Just take it slow and don't push yourself." His words were just as much for Erzia herself as they were for the other Runeholders and for Merritt, as their guide. They ought to be cautious of her well-being too.

"You should get going," Thisbe agreed, nodding to Merritt. "When you see Dala, tell him Kels and I will handle the memorial. We're already aware of the situation. It just makes sense."

Merritt followed her gaze as it shifted to the corpse under the sheet. "Are you sure?"

Thisbe nodded again, this time along with Kels. "Be a good chaperone for our new friends, Merritt."

"I'll make sure it's the celebration of life that she would've deserved," Kels guaranteed. That anger of hers had devolved to sadness and was no longer directed at those they'd rescued. She was mourning. She missed her friend.

"I'll let Dala know." And with that, Merritt joined the Runeholders to show them the colony as he'd been instructed. "Follow me."

Merritt's version of a tour consisted mostly of the Manabe pointing to buildings and naming them. They were perhaps too familiar with the infirmary. Then there were various lodging tents. A common gathering area. A small but adequate training spot. A meeting room, where Merritt did mention Dala would be with his right and left hand— the Manabe that had met them at the gate, presumably. There was the dining hall where they cooked and ate their meals. Some crafting tents for specialized goods. It wasn't advanced by any means, but it did the trick. They passed a few other Manabe as the wandered about, but not many and no one that Merritt offered introductions to.