34 | THE ONLY BAD PERSON I SEE IS YOU

Start from the beginning

"You know, torture's a war crime." Kie spoke up, interrupting the two's spat.

"Yeah so how exactly so you plan on clearing John B's name?" Pope questioned.  "From a prison cell? Because that's a felony."

"Well what do you got Pope?" JJ asked. "I was just trying to keep it simple, one stop and we're done."

Pope huffed, "Guys, all we need is a material witness, the police obviously don't believe Athena so we need another person. We all saw Ward's plane fly right over our heads with the gold inside of it. He didn't fly it. If someone else flew, they were there on the tarmac. They saw Peterkin get murdered. We just need to find whoever that was and get them to confess on record."

"How do we do that?" Kie asked.

"A little light espionage." Pope answered.

"A little ghost recon." JJ added.

"I don't know who else was on the tarmac but I do know all my dad's passwords so I can find out." Athena told the group, who smiled and nodded at her.

"Woogity - woogity?" Pope held out his hand to Athena and JJ, who sat either side of him. Athena held her other hand to Kie, who smiled.

"Woogity baby."

"You going to be alright?" JJ asked as him and Athena stood near her house. Athena laughed slightly.

"I'm going into my own home JJ not a haunted house or something." Athena told him. "I'll be fine."

"Well it could be a haunted house if we decorated the outside, it's already got the monsters." JJ spoke without thinking. When he finally realised what he said, his eyes widened. "Attie, I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry -"

"Don't worry about it." Athena gave a tight-lipped smile. "Anyway I survived going into Mrs Crain's house. I'm sure I can deal with this."

JJ leant forward, pressing a quick kiss to her lips before wrapping his arms around her.

"Just be safe." He muttered, kissing her head.

"I always am." She smiled, turning to walk into her house.

She walked in the front door, furrowing her eyebrows at the lack of noise, she didn't know everyone would be out. Athena shrugged, shaking her head slightly before making her way up the stairs and towards her father's office. She stepped up, about to push the door open when a voice spoke up.

"What are you doing?" Rafe asked. Athena jumped, spinning around to face her brother.

"God, Rafe you scared me." Athena took a deep breath.

"What are you doing?" He repeated.

"I left something in dad's office, I was just grabbing it." She lied, smiling innocently.

"I meant what are you still doing with the pogues." He raised his eyebrows at her.

"They're my friends." She told him.

"You're friends aren't good people." Rafe stated.

"Oh and your a saint." Athena laughed sarcastically.

"Your friend vandalized our home. Your friend sunk Topper's boat. Your friend tried to attack Kelce. Your friend killed someone and is the reason our sister is dead -" Rafe spoke, stepping towards her with every sentence.

"No!" Athena interrupted him angrily. Rafe stopped moving, Athena being the one to step forward this time. "Our sister, my twin is dead because of you, Rafe, you. My friend vandalized our home because you killed Sheriff Peterkin and I know you were trying to protect Dad, god Rafe I get it, you just wanted him to be proud of you. But you murdered someone and he blamed it on an innocent boy, Rafe and he's dead."

Athena was lying, she knew that. John B nor Sarah were dead but Rafe didn't know that and she wanted to keep it that way until she knew they were all safe.

"My friend sunk Topper's boat because you beat him with a golf club. Sarah wanted to leave, get out and go on the run with John B because she was in love with him and you made it so he couldn't live here, he couldn't go home without being arrested for something he didn't do. And because of your actions we lost three people in the process. We lost our sister, Rafe, and we have to live with that everyday for the rest of our lives."

Athena took a step back, tears rolling down her face as she spoke.

"So don't try to tell me that my friends are bad people, Rafe because at the moment the only bad person I see is you. And I love you, Rafe, I do because you're my brother and you always have been and always will be but I don't, I don't think we can have a relationship right now. Not like we did when we were younger, everything's changed since then; you've changed, I've changed, situations have changed. And I think - I think you need some help, like medical help, like a therapist or something." Athena tried to force a smile but it didn't work.

Rafe's eyes had watered slightly. Athena was always there for him, whenever his dad and him would have an argument, Athena would be there no matter what. She was the person who understood him, who never turned her back on him and now her she stood in front of him saying she was leaving him. The one person he thought would never leave was leaving and he couldn't help but be upset.

"I'm sorry, Thena. I-I'll get better, I-I'll be a better brother, a better person. I swear." Rafe nodded frantically, stepping towards her once more. "I'll do anything for us to be go back to how we were when we were young."

"Anything?"

"Anything." Rafe nodded.

"Who else was on the tarmac that day?" Athena asked.

"Um, I think Gavin was flying." Rafe furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?"

"I was just confused, you know, because the plane left but dad wasn't flying it." Athena lied about her intentions. "Thank you Rafe."

Athena started towards the stairs before she quickly turned around. "Hey, don't tell anyone about this yeah?"

"Don't worry I won't, I promise." Rafe stated.

And he wouldn't. Because if he did he would have to explain why she was there talking to him and then he would have to explain their conversation and then he would have to admit that not only did he kill Peterkin but also his sixteen year old sister nearly made him cry... his reputation couldn't handle either being found out.

Athena made her way down the stairs, out of the front door and back to where JJ was stood. She quickly wiped her eyes and cheeks to rid of any tears that were still there.

"I got it." Athena stated, making JJ jump.

"You got it?"

"I got it."

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗟 𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗦
rafe truly does have a soft spot for athena !! also sorry for the long wait kinda forgot i hadn't updated in a while
what do we think of a rudy book based on this - so meg donnelly as the oc who plays athena on the show ??
xoxo

𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗟 𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗦rafe truly does have a soft spot for athena !! also sorry for the long wait kinda forgot i hadn't updated in a while what do we think of a rudy book based on this - so meg donnelly as the oc who plays athena on the show ??...

PAPER RINGS | jj maybankOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara