Prologue

She was sitting at the corner of the classroom, probably texting while the teacher ranted on about numbers. Every so often her eyes flickered upwards and back down to her phone. It might not have been obvious to anyone that she was checking the time but to me, those few seconds when her brown eyes were revealed caused my heart to skip a beat.

She's not very popular, in fact she's new to the school this year. Whereas I am. Popular, that is.

My name is Michael Anderson, most girls call me Asshole Anderson, but those are the same girls that come running right back. I've been going to Lake Academy for two years so far, three and counting. I've joined almost all the Varsity sports teams and made it my goal to be class president. Checkmark on that.

"What's the probability of getting head?" My math teacher, Mr. Yew, asked with his very heavy accent. "My bad, that sounded weird."

Everyone began laughing, we're all so immature.

But immature is just a word boring people use to describe fun people, so we're all fun.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting again. The angriest buzz rang in my ears as the school-bell rang, signaling for us to go to lunch.

"Aye! Mike! Long time no see." Karl said, an odd smile on his face.

"Yeah, how's your girl, man?" I pulled my backpack over my shoulder and got up from my seat as we began walking out of the door.

"Emily? She's alright." He said, uncertainly. Ah, Emily. A smirk traced its way across my lips, we made out last night, the whole crew was there at Dylan's party. She's Karl's girlfriend, but she's never around for them to do anything. At Dylan's party, she'd cornered me, you could smell the alcohol seeping through her as she pushed me up on that wall.

I chuckled, Karl was such a nice, oblivious guy. Poor him, getting trampled over all the time. Some may say I took advantage of her, but who really cares? She's a slut to begin with.

"Hey Mike!" Emily Dickinson, Karl's girlfriend waved at me and grabbed Karl's arm, dragging him to lunch.

A dishonest relationship is always a fun one, am I right?

I made my way toward the lunch line, a bright smile on my face as I found some friends toward the front. At our school, we have a little fence built up so nobody cuts in line.

"Come on, Mike, climb over." Luke, known as the class clown, signaled for me as I threw my back-pack over. Checking for any security guards.

I hate security guards, but mall cops are even worse. Last week I'd been skateboarding at the mall, trying to do a wheelie on the escalator, when a dumb fucking mall cop starts chasing me. He was yelling random numbers into the air as his chubby legs jiggled against the ground. I was sure that there was no way in hell he would ever catch me, but I spoke to soon. Brown eyes had met mine, a distraction so striking I wished I could be in that moment forever, but she was the cause of my demise. I fell face first into the giant water fountain at the center of the mall. Soaked and caught.

I smirked and climbed up the fence and jumped down, to be met with the soccer guys. I try to be everyone's friend.

---***---

The loud clatter and noise of lunch really got to me as I took my seat beside Mary at our table. We took up three tables, our group, and sometimes needed to add extra chairs.

"Hey Mike!" Mary declared as I sat beside her. Mary was my first friend when I moved to New Brooks two years ago, she and I are very close.

Feeling light-headed, I stood up and began walking to the bathroom. I feel like I'm going to puke.