"What's the situation in the other houses?"

"Same as here, My Lord."

"Alright. Thank you Debyendu."

Karna walked over to where Abhimanyu was drinking water from a tumbler, holding the shovel in his right hand. "I think we are done for the day," He said, placing a hand on Abhimanyu's shoulders. He, of course, removed it at lightning pace when he saw Abhimanyu flinch, his eyes blinking in horror at Karna's sudden and unexpected gesture. Abhimnayu gave him a nod, and the two made their way out.

Karna had studied Abhimanyu when they were working in the house. His jaw was tense and his eyes were cold the entire time. Karna had even chosen to remain behind when they had been called for lunch because he was certain that Abhimanyu would benefit from some distance. But even after returning from the break, the kid seemed exactly the same. Cold and unreachable.

His legs felt leaden walking alongside his nephew, because even Karna, who knew so little about him, could tell that there was something wrong with Abhimanyu.

"Splendid. I was just coming to get you two!" Kaditula sprinted up close to them, surprising Karna with his agility, given his age. "I had a talk with Prince Lakshman Kumar. He has agreed to stay with us for a few days. Prince Abhimanyu, you must do me the honor of hosting you here in Vardhamana."

Karna really had to control himself and not state it outrightly, how bad of an idea that was. It was really starting to frustrate him that all of them were so oblivious to Abhimanyu's evident uneasiness around him. Like what did Kaditula need, a huge sign looming over Abhimanyu to get that the kid was not comfortable staying in the same house as his tormentor?

"Excuse us." Karna grabbed Kaditula's arm and dragged him off to a few feet from the clearing from where they were headed to the camp.

"What are you doing?" He hissed, anger causing him to be far more brusque with someone like Kaditula, who had been a guiding light for him in those early days of his kingship.

"What? I just invited the Prince for dinner."

"Can't you see how he is clearly not interested?"

"Well, I didn't mean to force him-"

"That is exactly what you were doing. For heaven's sake, he is but a child. It must be already daunting for him to return to Hastinapur after what happened during the war and now you want him to sit down, have dinner with us and pretend that everything is alright?"

"Aren't you doing the same?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"That's what you have been doing since you got here. Pretending you are completely alright even when you are not."

"This has got nothing to do with me!" Karna responded, staring off at nothing.