Part 12

I sat in the police car for questioning. Everything just happened so fast. As Devon and I were trying to find our escape route, there was loud noises coming from where the guys were. It started off with doors slamming, then glass shattering, next came gun shots. I defiantly didn't know what was happening. I was frightened. Thank god Devon was there. We all huddled in a corner, waiting for something to happen, anything. Then the door slowly opened. I hugged Devon even tighter. But I came to know it was the police.

After the questioning, I walked over to Vanessa. "Oh my god. Are you okay?" She shouted as soon as she saw me. I simply nodded.  She began to hug me even tighter. I think the tighter she squeezed me, the more questions popped into my head. But the number one, how'd she know something was wrong?

I stepped back. "How'd you find me?" I asked her. "It wasn't me. Honestly, I didn't have a clue. Well, not until Conner told me."

"Conner?"

"Yeah. There was some text from you. It was all 'I love you' and we know you'd never send something like that. So we got on the case."

"Meaning?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Meaning, we got my nerdy brother to do some work."

I smiled, and then pulled her over for another hug. "It's not me you should be hugging." She said moving back. "You should be giving Conner a hug. He camped outside of the building all night, just to make sure you were safe." I nodded at Vanessa and walked over to Conner who was talking to someone who I didn't recognize.

When he turned around, I quickly hugged him. "What the--" Was his first reaction. I didn't care, I continued to hug. I guess that's what Conner thought too, because he hugged me back. I didn't care if people stared at us. It's brother sister love.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Devon! You missed one of the most important meetings. How could you not show up?" My dad said when he got back from his business trip. We all decided not to tell my dad about what happened while he was gone. He seemed stressed out when he came back. And now we know why.

"I... I'm sorry sir. I- I forgot." Devon said to my father. I feel like this is my fault. What am I saying? This is my fault. If I hadn't gotten in this trouble, Devon wouldn't be in the position.

"I'm sorry Devon... but I'm going to have to do what's right. You're... fired. I'm sorry, but I have to treat you like my employee, not my daughters boyfriend."

"I understand sir." Devon said to my father, then left his office.

"Dad. Come on. It was one meeting. Your Secretary does only have her job right, but you haven't fired her." I said to dad when no one was passing by.

"Sweetheart, I know you like him. But he works for me. I can't give him special attention. What he did was wrong. End of discussion." Dad said, then continued typing on his computer. He looked confused.

"Come on. What happened to second chances?" 

"They don't apply here. He messed up, big time."

I walked out his office, with anger written all over me. "Pick me up from Vanessa's house at seven o'clock." I shouted at him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maybe you need to explain it to him. Calmly." Vanessa said to me. I stormed off to her house, because I know she would understand. We spent hours talking. "It's not going to work. Anyways, I got to go. My dads should be here any second." I told her. I picked up my coat.

I stepped outside of her house and waited for my dad. I just couldn't get my mind off what happened today. Because of me, Devon is now jobless. He has to do whatever it takes him, to be able to pay rent and feed his little brother. I know Devon, and I know it doesn't matter to him if he has food. It matters to him if his brother has food. If he would get a thousand bucks for not touching food, he wouldn't touch it for days.

I got so lost in my thoughts, I didn't focus on the real world. I found myself standing outside of my house. I checked my watch for the time. It's been two hours, and my father didn't notice me missing?

"Oh hey there, Hillary." Dad said as I walked in. I gave him a flat look. "Is there someth--  Oh my gosh! I forgot to pick you up. I am so sorry. Let me make it up to you, okay?" Dad said, getting out of his chair, and pulling me to the car.

"Hot chocolate, just like you like it." he said, holding it in one hand. As he was passing it over to me, he dropped it in my laps. I didn't scream, but I was on the inside. "I'm so sorry sweetheart. Give me a second chance, I can make it up to you." Dad said. I opened up the car door, and stepped out. "Second chances don't apply here." I said, then slammed the door, and walked away. Where to? I don't know. But I just walked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're not mad at me, you're mad at him." Conner said to me.

I wasn't sure who to talk to. Or where to go. So I called Conner. I don't know why I chose to call him, but I did, and I don't regret it. Talking to him, did help me. Maybe I underestimated Conner. Maybe he's not so bad after all.

____________________________________________________________

I know this is SHORT ! But I just wanted to put up a part .. it's been soo long since I have ..! Also, I'm working on a essay right now, so I didn't have time to work on it much. my essay's due tomorrow, so this is a MUST finish for me. I already failed our last test ;$ anyways, vote ??