Mistaken • Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

Then I suddenly forgot about the papers, not the divorce but the annulment papers. They're right here with me, in front of me. The wave of anxiety comes back. That's right, I still have to let him sign somehow. I'll annoy him if I have to, I'll squeeze all his insides just to bring his hand onto a pen. But I have to make a move in privacy and on the right moment.

I stood up from the swivel chair and went out of the office. A cup of coffee from the vending machine would be nice, to lay off the stress thats clogging the nerves in my brain. The employees greeted me with warm smiles as I passed through their cubicles.
As I got a cup of white coffee, I slowly walked back to my office. Then the figure of the handsome devil surprised me as we crossed paths in the silent hallway, the people are usually working and a few witnessed our awkward meeting.

" Hi. " he scrunches up a small smile at me with his hands on his coat pockets.

" Hey. " sending a casual greeting. I sipped my coffee while looking towards another direction to avoid eye contact. I waited for his response but he said nothing more. It was uncomfortable to stay that way being silent and all, I walked pass by him since there was nothing more to talk about.

" Thali, wait. " he grabbed me by the arm. Startled by his action, my coffee almost spilled all over. I faced him and flashed him an annoyed, disgusted face.

" What, Fer? "

" I want to personally invite you to the 50th Golden Anniversary of the company. Tio Xavier will be expecting many guests, the high positioned business people and the elites of society. This Wednesday, 7pm. Wear something elegant for the occasion. I'll be expecting your presence. " the devil smiled like an angel, he invites me personally, handing me the invitation.

" I'll be there, of course. I wouldn't miss this grand celebration. " I timidly chuckled.

" Can I ask you a favor, Thali. " he looks down while talking. A sign of timidity and nervousness he is feeling right now. I nodded, eager to listen to what he'll say. " I think this might sound a little uneasy for our rocky situation, Thali.... but can you be my escort to the- " he gets cut off by the ringtone of my phone, vibrating in my pocket.

" Excuse me, I have to take this. " I smiled at Fer. He beamed back, he was willing to wait. I faced another direction, taking the call which was from Mrs. Alcantara, the teacher in the daycare. " Hello, Mrs. Alcantara. What can I help you with? "

" Mrs. Sodi, its an emergency! Something happened to your son! " the teacher shrieked from the other line. The news quickly alarmed me.

" What happened to Mattheo? " I asked, already trembling in anxiety. I couldn't help but to let tears. If something happened to my son, I swear I am never going to forgive myself.

" Please proceed to St. Jude's hospital, Ma'am. And I'll explain everything. " she lastly said. Then I hung up the call and faced Fernando with teary eyes. He knows something bad was going on.

" What's wrong? Why are you crying? " he held me by the arms. Searching and guessing answers through my eyes filled with emotional liquid.

" Something has happened to our son. " I answered in a trembling voice. Fernando's beautiful eyes grew with shock. Then he pulled me to an elevator.

We silently went downstairs to the parking lot, into his car and drove to St. Jude's, the hospital where they sent my son. The whole drive has been silent, trying to bite back the tears and wasting tissue on my colds. I thought and guessed what could have happened to him in school. An accident perhaps? As we near the hospital, my thoughts grew more negative and terrifying for me as a mother. Fernando held my hand throughout the drive, he supported me even if my angst for him still remained inside of my heavy heart. As he parked his car by the driveway, we hurriedly went out and bursted into the hospital doors and dashed to the reception desk.