Mistaken • Chapter Six

" Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. "
- Neil Gainman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

" Where have you been? " I hear the loud female voice from the curvaceous figure next to my office desk, Lucero it is. She's standing like a sculpture with her pointy nails tapping on the table as soon as I entered my office. My Monday has gotten worse when the woman who claims to be my girlfriend starts to sermon me early this morning.
" Well, speak up. I grew worried, you know. "

" Do you even need to ask? You're not my mother. " I snapped back, walking to my desk and placing down my briefcase. " I never cared where you were yesterday. "

" Excuse me, haven't you forgotten? I'm your goddamn girlfriend. " she claims once again with her hands down on my table in front of me.

" Wha- "

" Don't deny it, señor. Because I have the complete evidence in my possession in case if you don't remember the specific crazy night a few months ago. " she shows her phone which I know it contains the bullshit video. That crazy goddamn night where I was completely drunk and I accidentally said words I never meant and it resulted to getting stuck with her like a leech on a piece of wood. " So you haven't answered my question. Where have you been the other days? " she asks again with her brow raised to the highest point.

" Out of town with a couple of friends. " I didn't look straight to the eye. Making excuses that would bail me out of this stupid discussion. I started to analyze the folders left on my table.

" Out of town? Really, Fer? Stop beating around the bush with me! " she cried out.
" You liar! " she pointed.

" Then what explanation do you want to hear, Lucero!? " I yelled at her.

" Care to explain this, Fernando. " she showed me the picture on her phone. Thalia and I, holding hands together in the park the last day was clearly shown in the shot.

" So? What's up with this? At least, I'm not treating her with a little bit of malice. You're the one who is thinking bad about it. " I roared, standing up from my seat.
" Don't tell me you're jealous, Lucero. You told me you could wait for the divorce to be done. "

" Of course, I'm jealous, Fernando. Because I love you, obviously. I don't want you clinging around with your ex. " she reasoned, seeing the first time she tears a bit from her eyes.

" Goodness gracious, you're so clingy. " I complained, then she comes near and hugs me from behind.

" I'm so sorry, mi amor. I don't want to loose the father of my child. " she revealed, clinging to me like a monkey on a tree. Did I just hear that right? Could this be even possible? I think my worst nightmares are coming true which will make my chances of reconciliation with Thalia even harder.

" What? You have to be serious, Lucero. Are you joking? " My eyes widened in fear. I turned to her with my mouth wide open.

" Yes, mi amor. We're going to be parents. " she cheerfully exclaimed which changed her mood from a grumpy hag to a playful vixen once again.

" How can that be possible? " I questioned.

" Are you doubting that I have another affair, Fernando? I have always been faithful to you. Its clearly possible, you're a man anyways and I am a woman and its been crazy these past two months. " she explains, she must've drugged me in one of those nights or made me crawl into her bed with her deadly, seducing perfume. But my Thalia, I feel that I have been pushed a few chances away from her. " Aren't you happy? "