Twenty six

"It's been 3 hours now and she's not saying anything!" Jayson screamed. Angry was an understatement for how he felt. "I should've told her, you should've told her. You're not even serious with Rebecca so why didn't you tell Elena? Was she even important to you?"

Jayden remained quiet. Coming back to this chaos wasn't his plan. He just wanted to cuddle with Elena after the trip with his dad because he was stressed but clearly, you don't always get what you want. He tried talking to to Elena but she wasn't responding. He understood how she felt. For goodness Esther had ordered Rebecca to cut her hair and she was once again accused of theft. And then they told het that he was betrothed. Knowing Esther, she must've exaggerated it.
That motherfucker...

He ran his hand through his head, scattering it in the process. He was hurt and confused.  Elena wasn't even listening to him. Well she was looking at him but she wasn't responding in any way. Rebecca had cut off 2 inches of her hair in total. It wasn't much but it was something. He sighed and pulled Jayson to himself. He hugged the boy tight. He was probably heartbroken, the next day was his birthday and Esther just had to do this today. Jayson was whimpering in his arms while the matron was talking to Elena inside. Their castle was kinda full because some royals who lived really far away already started coming. Uncle Desmond was downstairs helping king Edgar receive guests. Jayden wanted to go downstairs and give Esther a piece of his mind. He wanted to cancel whatever agreement his dad had with Rebecca's dad. But the big problem was he couldn't do it today. It'll cause even more problems for him and Jayson. "Hey. Hey it's okay." He said patting the younger's back.

"It's not. Esther's so wicked. Did she really have to do that today?" He cried. "Elena doesn't want to talk to me. She thinks I'm a bad friend. She lost two inches of her hair, she's been working so hard to talk care of her hair!" Jayson sniffled. The door creaked and the two boys jumped.

Elena stood at the door. She took in the sight of the two princes. Jayson's eyes were puffy and red. He quickly dabbed his tear stained face and looked at her expectantly. Jayden looked tired, devastated. He had eye bags and his clothes were wrinkled, probably because Jayson had dragged him straight from the carriage. She managed a small smile at them and straightened her back. 'Just a week to go!' She reminded herself. She could do it. "Good evening my lords. Prince Jayson, your visitors are expecting your presence downstairs. We need to get you ready."

Jayson stared wide eyed at the Elena that had just come out from the room. Clearly this wasn't his Elena. He needed his friend back. Her hair was tied up and packed firmly in a white net that he had seen the matron use sometimes. She looked tired, her eyes were puffy and her lips were chapped. And even though she was trying to smile it clearly wasn't working. "No!" Jayson cried. "Please Elena, please don't do this to me. I'm very sorry for not telling you." He cried. "Look." Jayson said holding her hands. "I'm wrong, I should've told you. They weren't serious, it wasn't even in my place to tell you. Jayden doesn't even like her one bit." He held her tight. "Please Elena. Please I fucked up. We fucked up. Forgive me if you can't forgive him. Please." Jayson said.

Elena just nodded. " I hold no grudges against you my lords. I'm but a mere court lady. Please let's get going." She said gesturing to Jayson's chambers while Jayden held the boy up.

"Please jay talk to her." Jayson begged his brother. She's leaving in a week and I'm going to die if she keeps feeling this way. I'm sure she feels so bad. And I can't even help! I'm useless!" Jayson shouted crying again and clutching his brother helplessly.

If there was anything Jayden knew, it was that Jayson was stressed at that point and didn't need more stress. He couldn't be left alone because nobody could dictate his mood. Once he'd cut himself after he had a huge fall out with the matron and it scared him for life. He didn't want a reoccurrence of that horrible situation. " it's okay jay. She'll forgive us. I promise you."