Chapter (20): Xiu Li and Xiu Si

Start from the beginning

Thus, the jaded headpiece was awarded to Lan Wangji, the second in rank. Although, Lan Wangji won the jaded headpiece, he felt like it did not belong with him. He glanced at somewhere towards the horizon as he remembered the one who truly deserved this. The white rabbit-masked boy who talked a lot and even made a bet with him. Thinking of it, Lan Wangji realized he lost the bet. He wanted to keep up with his part of the deal but the rabbit-masked boy was nowhere to be found. No one knew what he really looked like, where he was from or who he was. He wondered if he'll ever find him again someday, maybe then, he could repay the debt he owed.

Back in Puqi shrine, Xie Lian was talking to someone while holding two fingers up to his temple.
"...yes, thank you. I would like to ask you to look more into it as soon as possible too, yes..."

Wei Ying was sitting obediently while Xie Lian made contact with Ling Wen and Hua Cheng was listening from the side. Xie Lian looked very worried and shocked. Hua Cheng stood from the side comforting both Xie Lian and Wei Ying.

Xie Lian, "Ling Wen said she couldn't find anything related to him at the grass-field. For safety measures, Lord Rain Master is helping the search too. They've been searching the entire festival...but not a clue has been found, not even a residue of the resentful energy he'd used."

Hua Cheng, "Gege..."

The more Xie Lian thought about it, the more frightened he became. Eight hundred years ago, the only ones who knew about the snow-white with a crescent smile mask were either him, Wuming himself or White No-Face. But White No-Face should have been eliminated by Jun Wu right after the incident that year. And Jun Wu showed up only after Wuming was gone, so there was no way somebody else would know about this mask. Unless a resentful ghost emerged from one of Wuming's victims when he massacred the Yong'an Palace, but it did not make sense for them to target Xie Lian and Wei Ying, since they could not have known that it was Xie Lian who was with Wuming that night.

[For clarification, Xie Lian was driven to despair by White No-Face and he wanted to take revenge on the Yong'an Kingdom who ignited the downfall of his Xianle Kingdom. So he gathered resentful spirits who could incite the Human Face Disease. Then Hua Cheng came as Wuming with the smiling mask and became Xie Lian's soldier. Back then, even though Xie Lian and Hua Cheng charged into the Yong'an Palace, just the two of them, it was Wuming who did all the killing. (Hua Chengzhu is soo cool~~). During that time, Xie Lian was in white robes and a smile-crying mask just like White No-Face. So even if the residents of the Yong'an survived somehow, they could not have known it was Xie Lian under the mask. Besides a flimsy ghost that isn't even devastation level wouldn't dare target Wei Ying. Wei Ying was declared 'The Young Prince of Ghost City' and targeting him was the same as going up against the Supreme Ghost King, Hua Cheng.

Later, when Xie Lian didn't want to curse Yong'an anymore. The real White No-Face forcefully released the Human Face Disease. Xie Lian tried to take on all of the tens of thousands of the curses, but Wuming took them and his soul was dispersed. Only after that, Jun Wu descended and defeated White No-Face. So it's natural that Xie Lian thought Jun Wu would not know about Wuming.]

Xie Lian could not think of any other reason other than the fact that White No-Face had returned and he knew Wei Ying and Xie Lian's relationship. He knew the black clad man with the snow-white mask with a crescent smile was Xie Lian's sole companion back then, and he also knew that that black clad youth died for him. Seeing this mask on Wei Ying made Xie Lian shiver in fear. It made him think of the future he did not want to see. Xie Lian did not know what he would do if Wei Ying got into danger because of him.

Wei Ying, "Baba...what's happening?"

Little Wei Ying walked up to Xie Lian and softly held his hand.