The pace of your words were getting quicker, and when you realise that Jay and Heeseung were now less than a few feet away from you two, you race to finish your last sentence before turning your back and making a run for it. You pull the hood of your hoodie over your face, attempting to mask your embarrassment as you scurry off from the three boys, turning a swift corner into an alleyway to disappear from their sights.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"Why was Areum with you?" Heeseung immediately asks he is in a close enough distance to heard by Sunghoon. "Didn't know that you guys talked."

"I just invited her out to eat with me. We were both studying at the library." Sunghoon claims nonchalantly, brushing off Heeseung's intrusive tone that wants to know so much more than just his vague explanation. Even when placed under the interrogative glare from Jay, who was silently standing by Heeseung's side and had not yet said a single word, Sunghoon still managed to keep a cool composure. That's how Sunghoon always was — he always failed to observe that he was being placed in an awkward situation, only realising the extent of it after.

"Studying at the library, my ass." Heeseung rolls his eyes with a cross of his arms. "You've never gone out to eat with a girl just because she was studying at the library at the same time as you. Sure, maybe Jake would do that, or I would do that, but knowing you, I know that you would never even consider acting out like this."

Jay laughs at that, nodding in agreement with Heeseung as the two begin to gang up on the boy that had just finished his late night snack.

"Well then, it looks like I've defied your expectations." Sunghoon shrugs, calmly tucking his hands into his pockets. "If you don't believe me, that's fine." His phone lights up in the pocket of his coat, and he pulls it out to reveal a notification from none other than you, a polite and simple text that read, Thanks for tonight. I'll see you around :)

"Was it a one time thing, or are you going to do it again?" Jay asks. His sharp jaw matches his sharp tone, but Sunghoon still manages to keep a smile on his face as he proceeds to answer his invasive question.

"I'd do it again. She's a nice girl." Sunghoon beams with confidence, enthusiasm clear in the curves of his lips.

Jay snarls at his comment, not bothering to come up with a response as he turns on his heels and walks past the two boys and into the convenience store. His steps are calculated, loud enough to communicate that he did not want to speak on the topic anymore, and the ding that echoes through the air as he steps through the door signals the end of his participation in the conversation.

"What's up with him?" Sunghoon quirks an eyebrow.

"I'll see you at home, yeah?" Heeseung nods, not waiting for Sunghoon to reply before following Jay into the convenience store. He ignores Sunghoon's question entirely, picking up his feet and taking himself with nimble steps into the store.

Leaving Sunghoon in the dark, both metaphorically and literally.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"Hi! Welcome to Aligned with Aromas."

The air conditioning cools against the apples of your cheeks, giving them a pale pink tint as you took your usual position behind the counter. You had repeated this numerous times throughout your shift every single time a new customer walked in, eagerly browsing the store in search of a perfume to buy. Your legs are beginning to ache from standing for an extended period of time without rest, stiffening at the ankles as your back was starting to slouch over the cash register.