Chapter 5: A New Voice

So, I prewrite chapters. Chapter 7 was long, so I split it into two chapters. So now I have a chapter 7 and 8. And what was originally chapter 8 is now 9. I went camping, and I just got back today, and I wrote a lot while I was gone. So, I have a lot to type up. But nonetheless, I feel accomplished! So here is a new chapter to celebrate!

"Why is there another conference in DC?" asked Sariah. She was perched on a counter in Mr. McCoy's study, which doubled as a laboratory, swinging her legs back and forth. It was the day after her birthday and she had gone down to Mr. McCoy's study as soon as she had come home from school.

"Well, there's elections for a new senator and lots of the candidates are talking about passing a registration act. So we need to talk them out of it. And meeting the candidates is good, so I can be acquainted with the future senator."

"They really want to make us register?!" gasped Sariah. She stopped swinging her legs and stared at Mr. McCoy in surprise. "That's not right! That's gotta be unconstitutional! What happened to fair rights; all men are created equal! What happened to that?!"

"Unfortunately, the mutant haters aren't thinking about our feelings, or thoughts, or our God given rights. They're only thinking about how scared they are of us, because we are different. They only think of themselves. Now, I'm not saying all humans are selfish like that. There are lots of people out there who are supportive of us. Unfortunately, there are a lot more against us than there are for us."

Sariah nodded sadly. "I had a great foster mom, but when she learned about mutants she suspected I was one, because of my case history. She called me a freak, and she told me to get out. So, that night, I left. She used to love me; but then she began to fear me. She was gonna adopt me, too."

"I'm sorry, Sariah," whispered Mr. McCoy, "It's sad to think that people are so afraid of something different, that they never give it a chance. They see it in a new way. They can't look past the difference. It's upsetting, but real."

"It isn't right," sighed Sariah.

Mr. McCoy smiled sadly. "Sariah, I have a question for you."

"Yes?" said Sariah.

"Would you like to speak in DC?"

"Me? Why me?" asked Sariah incredulously.

"Sariah, you are the most passionate young girl I know. You care about our rights. You are the future. I think that you can really help to show others that we're just as human as the others. You can help out more than you know, and help make a difference. That's what you want to do, right?"

"Yes, but I've never talked in front of lots of people before."

"Don't sweat it. It'll be like one of those moments when you and I talk together about this stuff. Don't worry. You'll be great."

"Are you... Sure?" asked Sariah.

"Positive. Now, let's go start dinner. You and I are part of the dinner crew today."

**********************************************************************************

Sariah was bombarded by people telling her she would do great in DC. Everyone was giving Sariah lots of tips to do well, but to be honest, it was making her even more nervous about speaking.

In fact, she was so annoyed that when she heard a shout of "Hey, Sariah!" she angrily spun around. It had been two days of people giving advice, wishing her luck, telling her she'd do great. Honestly, Sariah was kind of tired of it.

"I don't want your advice!" Sariah blurted out. She had just wanted to go change for school.

A flustered Angelo turned red. "I was gonna say you dropped something..."