Past: Concord, Massachusetts: 1864

Start from the beginning

Jo just guffawed in amusement, "HAHAHA!!!"

Amy walked off with her bucket foot, "Stop it, Jo!"

Andy wailed in panic, "I can't get it out!! That means I'm gonna lose my hand!!"

Amy added, "And my foot!!"

Meg and Jo watched the twins dragging their plastered buckets around.

Beth sighed, "Fine I'll go myself"

Andy was in the middle of lessons with Mr. Laurence with her left hand wrapped in a bandage, excited to go home after he told her of his gift for her sister. When Beth came into the office face was red, smiling.

"Sir I wanted to thank you for...." Beth mumbled then wrapped her arms around the older man.

Attempting to give the two some privacy Andy grinned, turning her back to Mr. Laurence and Beth.

"My child your burning"

Andy turned to see Mr. Laurence checking Beth's temperature.

Beth answered back, "The Hummels are very sick"

Andy stood from her seat and wrapped her arms wound Beth.

Mr. Laurence escorted the girls back home and sent for a doctor.

The rest of the sisters and Hannah were now waiting for the verdict. Andy and Amy held each other by the stairs watching Mr. Laurence pace.

Everyone perked up when the doctor came out, "She's resting"

Mr. Laurence questioned the doctor, "How is she? Is there anything I can do?"

Hannah asked as well, "What is it?"

The doctor answered, "It's scarlet fever"

Andy and Amy joined in, "What's scarlet fever?"

The doctor tried to quietly inform Mr. Laurence, "I visited the Hummels, the baby has died" but everyone still heard. The doctor asked the group, "Have you all had it before?"

Jo answered, "Meg and I have but Andy and Amy hasn't"

"They shall have to be sent away" the doctor informed Mr. Laurence

The twins immediately protested, "We don't wanna be sent away"

Meg sighed, "I'll see if Aunt March can take her"

Amy argued, "I don't like Aunt March"

"It's for your own good child" Hannah tried to reason.

Jo asked Hannah, "Should we send for mother?"

Meg disagreed, "No we shouldn't worry her"

Andy grumbled, "I've never wished for money more than now"

Jo tried to lift their spirits, "Listen we'll nurse her and she'll get better. She will"

For the March household, it was painful to watch Beth struggle with every breath.

Meg, Jo, and Hannah took turns making sure Beth was never alone.

For the March twins, it was agony. Waiting patiently for any news about their sister. And about their father.

They tried to be on their best behavior. Amy didn't complain. Andy wore the stifling dress.

Aunt March attempted to occupy the girls' time by commissioning a painting of her gardens and checking her financial booking. The older woman knew that the youngest March, Andy, was quite gifted when it came to financing.

So the elder March stood by the doorway watching Amy look out the window and then back to her painting. She also watched the youngest, who was occupied with a pile of paperwork.

She saw the potential the two young girls were capable of. Artistic, intelligent, family-oriented, and beautiful.

Walking away, Aunt March settled on her seat and called out, "Andy, Amy! Come here"

The twins shared a look of confusion. Amy raised an eyebrow and Andy shrugged.

"Yes?"

"Come sit"

The two perched on the footstool in front of their Aunt.

"If you are very good, one day, this ring will belong to you" Aunt March showed the girls her jeweled finger.

The twins shared a smile and looked back at their Aunt asking simultaneously, "Really?"

Aunt March expanded, "If you keep being a proper lady just see if it doesn't"

Amy perked up as Andy slightly slumped.

Aunt March fixed Amy's braid and patted Andy's head, "You are your family's hope now"

"Beth is sick, Jo is a lost cause, and I hear Meg has her head turned by a penniless tutor, so... it'll be up to you to support them all" Aunt March informed them.

Andy nodded her head in agreement.

"And your indigent parents in their old age"

Andy chimed in, "And you as well Aunt March. I'll support you as well"

Aunt March nodded in approval and smiled at the both of them, "So you must marry well"

At this, Andy frowned, "I want to marry Teddy, Aunt March" Amy gripped her twin's hand.

The elder March cocked her head, "Hmm? The Laurence boy?"

Andy nodded her head in assurance, "I'll run my own business and when I become a success I'll marry Teddy"

Aunt March nodded, "I suppose you could have done worse"

Andy smiled.

"But you could also do better"

Andy pouted.

"Save your family"

The three March women pondered on the spoken words.

"All right, that's, uh... That's all I wanted to say to you" Aunt March dismissed them, "So you can go back and do your work."