Past: Christmas Day: 1861

Christmas Day: 1861

Early Christmas morning the five March sisters found themselves in the living room waiting for Marmee to come home from volunteering.

Andy was lying on the floor, legs covered in thick trousers propped up on the couch dozing off as her sisters discussed their woes about being poor during Christmas Day.

When the topic of dreams for the future came up Andy chirped, "I'll be a cutthroat entrepreneur managing Meg's acting career, selling Jo's books, feeding Beth with music sheets, and opening exhibits for Amy's artwork"

Meg fondly shook her head at her youngest sister, "Your dreams are based on what WE want. What about something YOU want, Andy?"

Andy thought hard about what she wanted for her future, "I want to grow old, holding hands with the love of my life" adding a nod to solidify her plans.

A sudden silence filled the room then Jo pipped in "I take it back Amy's dreams aren't crass. Andy's is"

Andy just shrugged her shoulders, "I'll make enough money so that we won't ever have to worry about being poor" She then proceeded to doze off again dreaming of the Christmas breakfast spread on the dining table.

Yelling and loud chatter woke Andy to the sight of her sisters piled on top of each other with Amy on the bottom. Not wanting to be left behind Andy jumped on top of the pile adding on to the sounds of yelling.

Hannah watched the girls in faux disappointment tutting, "I know you don't care what I think. But you don't want your mother to find you like this do you?"

The girls filed to give Hannah the praise she deserves.

"Of course we care what you think Hannah"

"You are more family than wicked old Aunt March"

Each kissing the elder woman on the cheek

"Where is Marmee?"

The girls broke off to do their own thing as Jo passed her written play to her sisters.

Andy helped her twin gather the costumes from the attic.

Jo coached Amy to work on her fainting.

Andy proceeded to take her seat at the dining table pressing her cheek on the wood staring at the feast in front of her.

Meg tutted at her younger sister already knowing what would happen if she looked away, "We have to wait for Marmee Andy"

Andy pouted, "I know Meg. I was just looking" whilst staring at a slice of roast beef with stars in her eyes.

Jo rolled her eyes, "Its best we practice our play before Andy stuffs her face when she gets her chance"

Andy pretended to be offended. "Hey!"

Beth and Amy pulled her up off her seat to the living room.

A few scenes later Andy's ears perked at the sound of the front door closing, "Marmee's here!"

The girls raced towards their mother assisting in putting away her winter clothes.

"Merry Christmas, girls!"

Each one kisses their mother on the cheek.

As they all settled on the dining table Jo noticed the sad look on Marmee's face, "What?"

Meg glanced at their mother, "What is it?"

"Not far from here lives a poor young woman, Mrs. Hummel. Her five children are in one bed to keep from freezing. And there's nothing to eat. My girls, would you give them your breakfast as a Christmas present?"