Past: Christmas Day: 1861

Start from the beginning

The March sisters were very familiar with this scene: giving up what they have for the good of others.

Silence filled the room.

Beth, ever the most empathic one, "Is this where you would say father would want us to?"

Marmee answered softly, "Yes"

The March sisters met each other's gaze as a silent conversation.

Andy was the first to stand, "Well if we don't hurry we won't make it for breakfast. Come on Ames" nudging her twin to start gathering the food into a basket.

The March women proceeded to get ready for the trek to the Hummels.

"Andy you can't wear trousers" Meg, ever the responsible one.

Andy pouted, "It's cold outside and I don't want to get slowed down by my skirts"

In the Laurence home, Laurie had his gaze fixed on the March's, smiling as they brought baskets of food out, while Mr. Laurence observed his grandson.

His tutor across from him, "Thank you Mr. Laurence for including me"

The elder man nodded to the young tutor, "Your welcome"

The two proceeded onto their breakfast continuing the conversation "Perhaps you can tutor my grandson in manners as well as mathematics"

Laurie was too distracted to notice that they had started on breakfast.

Mr. Laurence cleared his throat, catching the attention of his grandson prompting the young man to start eating.

After a few silent minutes, Laurie looked towards his grandfather, "Perhaps we can share our bountiful breakfast with the March's?"

Mr. Laurence nodded his head in agreement, "The March's are good people I've only ever known kindness from them"

Extremely satisfied with his deed Laurie smiled glancing at the tiny backs of the March women trekking through the thick snow.

Hummel's cottage

The March sisters were shocked at the state of poverty in front of them.

Amy leaned to her twin and whispered, "If I complain about being poor. Remind me of this moment"

Andy gave her sister an unamused look, "I'll try my best to keep you humble, dear sister"

"C'mon girls!" Marmee called out to help in spreading the breakfast and warm clothes.

The March women broke away from each other and entertained the Hummel children.

The walk back to the house was lively and filled with wide smiles despite the growling stomachs. Amy was holding arms with Marmee. Beth and Meg were sharing a laugh. Andy and Jo were gathering clumps of snow and chucking them at each other.

Their stomachs may be empty but their hearts were full.

So the sight of their dining table filled to the brim with food and pastries was a surprise the March's did not expect.