Past: Concord, Massachusetts: 1861

Start from the beginning

Andy proceeded to tie a rope on the leg of her bed and drop the other end below the window.

A voice called out "what are you doing?"

Andy sharply turned around, eyes widened, answering monotonously, "Nothing."

Beth connected the clues: Formal trousers, a dress shirt, rucksack, and a rope, "You're sneaking to the dance!"

"SHHH!!" Andy immediately covered her older sister's mouth silently begging with her eyes.

Beth rolled her eyes and nodded. Prompting the younger March to let go and explain, "I wanted to bring snacks from the dance since Amy and you were so disappointed you couldn't go. And maybe I can also bring back a music sheet for us to listen to. Please don't tell on me, Beth. Pleeeease"

Andy watched as Beth walked towards the rope tied to the bed expecting her to untie it. To her surprise, Beth sat on top of the bed instead, "It needs to be weighed down so you can shimmy down without the bed moving"

Squealing and hopping around the room, "you're the best Beth!!!!"

Hugging her older sister for good luck. Andy carefully shimmied down the rope.

"I'm down!"

"I'm down!"

Beth leaned over the window wishing her sister luck, "If you get caught I didn't help you!"

Andy confidently trod into the road, "I won't!"

Across the road, green eyes followed the skipping figure running towards adventure.

At the dance

Thanks to her running, Andy made it into the dance hall long before her sisters.

"Whew! Time to get to work!"

Attempting to blend in she stuck to the sides grabbing snacks and dropping them into her rucksack. She had gotten odd looks here and there, no surprise there since she looked too young to be in attendance and she wore trousers instead of the dresses the young women were wearing.

After 30 minutes into her scavenging, she heard a flurry of voices across the dance floor, to the entrance and saw her sisters entering. With a sack full of snacks the only thing she needed was a music sheet for Beth.

Slowly making her way closer and closer to the music band until she was at arm's length away, a body slammed into her causing the said body to sprawl across the floor. Horrified at the scene, Andy immediately looked up to make sure none of her sisters saw her.

Too late.

While Meg remained ignorant of her presence, Jo honed in on her face. Squinting at her little sister, who should be at home.

Glancing to the set of papers close to her Andy swiftly and discreetly grabbed a handful of sheets and booked it to the corner of the room.

Glancing back Jo was trying to weave her way to her. Immediately to her left, Andy entered a thankfully empty drawing-room.