Prologue (5 years ago)

Start from the beginning

"Wake up!" Blair exclaimed, jumping to her feet. "I'm only here for a short time, I want to enjoy it."

"You heard her." Garth grinned, waving her over. "Up and at 'em!"

********

Dick watched as Donna led Blair through different drills, each holding their own sword. They had been training for over an hour, Blair absorbing everything Donna said, applying it exactly, putting her own spin on it whenever she grew comfortable enough to do so. It was truly something to watch.

"Focus, okay?" Donna ordered, lowering her sword to her side. "You have to be able to anticipate your opponent's moves and be able to block them just as well as keeping an offensive."

Blair shook her body out, dancing on her feet, "I'm on the fencing team in Gotham, Donna. I know this."

"This isn't fencing, Blair. This isn't just a sport." Donna said seriously. "This could be the difference between life or death and you have to be ready for it."

Blair nodded, taking a deep breath, "Okay, again!"

Dawn walked into the training room, standing next to Dick by the weapons case, watching as Blair blocked one of Donna's incoming attacks, "She's getting really good."

"She's always been good at this." Dick said, keeping his eyes on the girls training. "It's like she was born for it."

Dawn smiled thoughtfully, watching Blair duck under Donna's swing, "Funny, Donna said the same thing the other day. Maybe the Amazons will take her when Donna goes back."

"They'll have to fight Bruce for that."

"Or you." Dick stopped watching the girls, turning to give Dawn a confused look to which she just laughed at. "I can see Bruce letting her go off to Themyscira, but you? You act like it's cool, but I know damn well you'll be on the next plane to the island after her if she were to go."

"Well, she's not going so that's not an issue I need to worry about." He shrugged. "Besides, Themyscira isn't exactly friendly to men on their island."

Dawn snorted, "Yeah, because that'll stop you if your little sister's there."

Blair dodged Donna's swing once again, blocking it with her own sword. "What do you do now?" Donna asked, keeping her sword in its position. "Push forward? I can do that too." To prove her point, she pushed her sword further, causing Blair to lean further back to avoid being cut by her own blade.

"I—"

"Don't tell me." Donna shook her head. "Show me."

Blair twisted, almost dancing as she twirled out from underneath Donna's sword. Despite the action being one of the smoothest moves she had made that day, Donna's blade still managed to cut her arm, drawing blood.

Dick stood up straight, ready to stop the training exercise when Dawn grabbed his arm, shaking her head, "Don't interfere. She's here to learn, remember?"

Blair didn't even stop to look at her arm, continuing to move through the exercise as if it hadn't even happened. Donna swung again, her blade clashing against Blair's as she blocked the attack, knocking the sword to the side. Once Donna was off balance, Blair landed a kick to her stomach, sending her stumbling back.

Before Blair had a chance to swing her sword in attack, Donna knocked her off her feet. She landed flat on her back, her sword falling out of her hands.

"You gotta keep your eyes open and anticipate every possible move." Donna reminded her, holding out a hand. Blair took it, letting Donna pull her to her feet. "Maybe we should stop here for the day. You've done great."