Alternate prompt: Anxiety

Izuku's never had the best experiences with people in general. So what exactly happens when he's told to introduce himself to a class of nineteen others?

Alternative prompt: Anxiety

Small TW!

Mentions of past bullying.

"I can't do this," Izuku muttered to himself, turning away from the comically large door he stood in front of. "What if they don't like me? What if they hurt me just like everyone else did?"

Izuku paced in the empty hallway, trying to organise his thoughts and bring a semblance of calm to his exterior. For starters, this was his first day in the hero course of U.A. He'd been in general education for the first couple months of school until he impressed everyone at the sports festival. He, a quirkless individual had climbed the ranks before failing in the last round against Kacchan. But honestly, he had the perfect quirk for heroics, thus was immediately better than Izuku who held no power at all.

Izuku sighed, running his hand through his green hair, attempting to straighten them slightly from the curled mess that usually resided on top of his head. He took steadying breaths as he slowly walked toward the door, hesitating as he reached for the handle.

Izuku groaned as his body simply didn't allow him to slide the door open. Years of torment had been ingrained within his head, screaming not to be stupid enough to make the mistake of getting to class last. Whenever that happened, all eyes would be on him as he made the walk of shame towards his desk. Sometimes he'd even be tripped over on the way before being scolded by the teacher for being so disruptive.

Izuku opted to slide down the wall next to the door, holding his head in his hands as he did so. It would probably be better if he waited for Aizawa Sensei to get to let him just in case he interrupts any important lecture.

Izuku's palms got sweaty as he not so calmly waited for the black-haired teacher to look for him. Time seemed to drag on, Izuku mentally counting the seconds as he remained seated by the foot of the door.

After what seemed like forever, Aizawa open the door, sweeping his head across the hallway before his eyes landed on the hunched figure of Izuku. He paused, glancing back to the room of teens behind him before swiftly closing the door behind him and approaching Izuku.

"Kid," Aizawa asked as he slowly advanced towards Izuku, "Why haven't you come in yet? I was just about to introduce you to the class."

Izuku shrugged, vaguely gesturing around as his mouth repeatedly opened and closed, attempting to form a sentence. He gave up, sighing as he rested his head in between his legs.

Aizawa nodded in a semi-sage way as he sat down beside Izuku. The older man said nothing, instead, he simply offered a silent but warm presence. It was such a simple action yet Izuku could help himself from feeling safe. The pro hero offered protection, offered a sense of safety. Aizawa had no doubt been through a similar schooling experience that Izuku had, his quirk likely being perceived as 'villainous'.

Izuku found an odd sense of comfort in that fact. While Izuku felt slightly bad for thinking that way, he couldn't find himself to care. Instead, he focused on the fact that he wouldn't have to endure any more torment from quirkist individuals.

"It's hard," Izuku began, staring out the opposing window, "all my life people have been cruel or unkind towards me all for an extra toe joint. I was bullied yes, but not here. And yet, my brain can't seem to realise that fact, it's like it hasn't registered yet."

"That's just how the brain works, kid," Aizawa responded softly, "the brain can and will think of all the negatives before it even perceives the positives; it's human nature. It happens to me, it happens to your classmates. So no one will judge you for being a little bit apprehensive starting out."

Izuku hummed in response, his eyes watering slightly in the confirmation over the fact he wasn't alone in the matter.

"C'mon kid," Aizawa said, having gotten up and reaching a hand out to Izuku. "I think you've left your new classmates waiting long enough. And I wouldn't be surprised if they've somehow burnt the classroom down."

Izuku chuckled, accepting the outstretched hand. Izuku was led to the door he once stood frozen in front of. This time, it didn't seem as menacing as it did before. Aizawa went in front of him, silencing the class before gesturing for Izuku to enter himself. Taking a deep breath, he advanced.

"Hi," he began, standing in the sentry of the blackboard, "my name's Izuku Midoriya."