| 20. LOSS OF A LOVED LADY

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY

( LOSS OF A LOVED LADY )

JAMES' POINT OF VIEW

     FREYA WOKE AT THE CRACK OF DAWN and shook me awake. She rushed about collecting all our stuff up, and that's when I noticed what was wrong. Something was missing. Badly.

     I jumped to my feet and helped her. "When did they leave?" I asked, my eyes flickering around the cave checking any evidence of the time they left.

     "I don't know... When I woke up they weren't there," She breathed heavily, scanning the area with her innocence, noting down any difference in her head. She eventually climbed out the cave entrance and skidded onto the sand.

     "Collect the rest of the stuff and we leave," I said, darting over to the two backpacks resting on the damp stone ledge. "We need to find them and stop them from doing something stupid."

     My heart raced as I reached where Silver should have been. Her rucksack, coat and food remained in the small pile she left them in the night before, forgetting to take them wherever she went. Suddenly, I saw a glint of metal and I froze. Hidden in the creases of Silver's coat, I saw her Mother's necklace. She left it behind. I didn't know why. It was so precious to her; so unforgettable. Why could she have left it behind? What ever it was, it was something serious.

     "James?" Freya's voice was quiet and filled with doubt as I examined Silver's necklace in my hand. I swiftly replied with, "Yeah?"

     "What if. . . What if they were taken by Althea?" She was right, causing my hand to shake nervously as I tried to carefully put the necklace in my coat pocket. "And, what if its a trap?"

     "It's not going to be a trap, Frey."

     "It might as well be!" Her words became louder and more flustered, almost as if she knew that she was telling the truth. "Think about it," she said, taking each word slowly like she wanted to make sure I knew exactly what she was saying, "They would have taken them anyway; they're the strongest out of us."

     "It's not going to be a trap." I assured, sweeping up the rest of the food into my arms in a hurry and stuffing it all into one of the backpack. I sighed as I tied Silver's coat around the handle of her rucksack and reached for the outside of the rocky wall of the cave. The stones leading out were unbalanced to walk on, preventing my execution of trying to get out of the cave to be as quick as I would have wanted it to be.

     "The weapons are gone, but all their things are right here," I announced, pointing to the two bags hanging tiredly on my back. Freya didn't react, she just stared up in the tree, one hand dropping down to her side and the other clutching something on her stomach. She seemed to be breathing heavily, half coughing; half crying. Her coat dropped off from her shoulder and landed on the ground. I saw Freya holding a golden arrow impaled into her abdomen, salted tears cascading miserably down her cheeks. The once azure, young colour in her eyes faded as her life drained out of her body, drip by drip. Why the hell did this remind me of Buck?

     I could only imagine her life flashing before her eyes. Her name was plucked from a bundle of tens and thousands of others, yet she still tolled on, holding out better than any of us. She escaped the bloodbath and founded an alliance with another young girl. And though a friend died before her eyes, she kept on walking, running and then finding us. Three days later, it became the end. Although, I wish we all weren't here. A brave, small girl from District Seven definitely should not. I swallowed a lump of regret in my throat, knowing if I'd got out of that cave faster she wouldn't have been seen as an easy target.

     Why did it have to be like this?

     "I'm sorry," I whispered to Freya as the cannon blast announced her death. Closing her eyes, I reached for the arrow and pulled it out. Blood splashed everywhere and I wiped it off my hands gently, trying not to disrupt her rest.

     Unexpectedly, a rustle came from behind the trees and a flicker of blonde hair appeared in the corner of my eye. Then, at that single moment, I knew it was my time too.