shell

She loved the sea.
More than he could ever imagine or even comprehend.

She loved to walk and run through the wet beach previously streamed with the salty seawater.

Laughing.
Always giggling and being free spirited.

She once said that she likes the salty smell of the ocean. Not just that, she liked to just stare at the horizon and breathing in the scent of 'holidays at the beach'.
As he does now.

"The water is eating the sun!" She had shouted as she glanced at the shimmering water and the line in her view, seperating the sea and the sun, slowly devoured the eye of heaven, literally (so she said).

Now, he's standing there, at the exact same spot, alone. Sort of dejected, if not just empty.
Wondering what she would say to the mesmerizing scenery of the sky gently touching the ocean and the beams of the sun fading into an alluring pink and orange.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Wind gracefully blew into his rested face.

...

The bond between her and the ocean has always been indescribably strong.

She really adored shells, he rememberes.
He picked up a little beige shell, almost golden.

Wondering how she would have reacted if he would turn the shell into a little present.
Would be a beautiful necklace.

He sighs.

He takes his shoes and socks off.
He walks into the water, slowly.
The waves softly lap lightly against his shins.

He smiles.
He gently puts the little pretty shell into the sea water.

He smiles because he knows that he's touching her.
He smiles because he was able to give the shell to her.

His only wish was being able to embrace and hug her one last time.

04th nov 2021
21st feb 2023
10th jan 2024