It always hurt to do that. Opening the gashes in his back felt as if he cut his back open fresh each time, but he had gotten used to it.

Kai walked to the door and unlocked it. Jay stood patiently on the other side. Jay looked at Kai, mildly shocked and surprised to see Kai shirtless. Kai could've sworn his friend's cheeks became dusted with a red blush.

"H-hey Kai. I just wanted to see how you were doing. You've just been in your room for the past while alone." Jay asked.

Kai chuckled, scratching his head nervously. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine. I've just been resting. Uh, wanna hang out?"

Jay shrugged, looking down the hallways. "Sure. I don't see why not." Kai moved out of the way and Jay walking into his friend's room.

Jay was instantly hit with the high heat. "Whoa! Did I just walk into a sauna or a desert?" Jay sounded more astounded than mad.

"Sorry about that. I must've over heated the room. Being master of fire and all, I don't have the best judgment when it comes to heating." Kai apologized. His wings had been out for quite a long time, but more heat must've leaked out than he had originally thought.

"It's okay. I understand. What do you have to do in here?" Jay asked.

"Well, we could watch a movie? Or I have board games. I do not really have much I'm just realizing. We could, um, uh, draw?"

Jay smiled at his friend's nervousness. It was cute how Kai got flustered when he felt like he wasn't the most interesting or uplifting person. "How about draw and a movie?"

Kai grinned. "Sounds good to me." Honestly, just hanging with Jay, however they spent it, sounded great to him. He'd never admit it to anyone, but, Jay was cute.

Kai popped in a random movie and brought over more drawing supplies to the bed. They drew whatever came to mind as the movie went through each scene.

Jay stared at Kai who sat across from him. He swore his face would melt off. It was probably so red. Why did Kai not have a shirt on? You'd think he would have done that by now.

He wasn't complaining. Like, it was hot! Not saying Kai wasn't ever not hot! He was THE master of fire. He's going to be hot. But Kai was hot on the eyes. Like, he'd totally kiss him for hours. Wait- did I really just think that. Jay mentally facepalmed. Whatever. It was true.

At one point they completely ignored and forgot about the movie. They started to talk and the movie was just background noise.

"What were you doing while alone in here?" Jay asked. "I mean you don't have to tell me. It's your business."

Kai hated lying, but he didn't want to tell anyone about his wings. He'd always kept them a secret because what would someone do with someone who had wings of fire? They wouldn't hesitate to threaten people he knew. And the less people who knew, the less likely it was to get out.

"Mostly just taking a nap. Bad sleep schedule." Kai gave a nervous chuckle, scratching his head.

"Dude. Is this what you get up to with your own room? Not getting proper sleep? Do we need to move you into someone's room to make sure you sleep well?" Jay said, now fussing over his friend. He did this not because Kai was his brother and friend, but because he, well, loved him. Romantically. Even if he knew it would never happen. "You'll drive yourself mad without good rest."

Kai chuckled. It was sweet of Jay to care. "It's not my fault. My body won't let me sleep. I have insomnia." He didn't sleep because he tried to have his wings out for as many hours as he could during the night. And containing the heat took bit of concentration.

"Have you tried taking some sleep medications?" Jay suggested.

Kai nodded. He hadn't really. "Yeah. They don't work for me."

"Oh. Well darn. We ought to just work you to death everyday then." Jay chuckled. It was a joke, he hoped Kai understood that. Sometimes his humor would get angry glares from the others or be taken seriously.

Kai just smiled, changing the conversation. "What about you? What were you doing while I was taking a break from consciousness?"

Fantasizing being with you. Jay thought. Unlike Kai, Jay was open with his feelings, even if it was just accepting them himself. Nya knew about the crush he had on her brother, and teased him relentlessly. But he'd never admit those feelings to the person of his fancy. "Just playing some video games. Nothing fun here either."

They stared at each other for a minute before tearing their eyes away. Jay blushed brightly, making him glad Kai looked away too. Kai knew he blushed slightly, but rejected that fact. Love was something he couldn't give any room for. What if he fell in love, and someone knew about his secret? Someone might get hurt because of him.

"So, wanna go see about a snack?" Jay asked. He was once again staring at Kai's bare chest. Look at those abs- He needs to put a shirt on before I explode!

Kai shrugged. "Sure. I'm hungry." They stood up and Kai threw on a shirt before they left.

Jay looked at his friend. Now I'm kinda sad he has one on. Jay tried not to chuckle as he didn't want Kai asking any questions he may be nervous to answer.

They made their way into the kitchen to sneak a quick snack before they could get caught by the others, and ran back to Kai's room, laughing.

A/N after writing this chapter, I have a slight idea of how I want this book to go! I like writing this, it gives me something fresh to write!