Chapter 3

Sunfern trotted through the tunnel into camp as the sky darkened, his mouth full of prey. He set his prey into the fresh-kill pile and went to check on Moonfall in the warriors den. He saw Quickstream's claws unsheathed, hate burning in his eyes as he looked at Sunfern walking in. Moonfall was curled up on the far side of the den, looking small.

"Moonfall," Sunfern mewed gently, his paw prodding the beautiful white and silver she-cat on the shoulder. "I think I know what to do about the cats in Sunclan."

Moonfall's eyes flew open. She leaped up and wagged her tail. Quickstream's eyes narrowed, looking thoughtfully at Sunfern.

"How! How!? Sunfern how!?" she mewed excitedly, her eyes shining brighter than they ever had in the past week. She looked to the side, seeing Quickstream looking at her with narrowed eyes. The light went out and her tail fell flat. "N-nevermind. I-it's not our clan so we shouldn't do a-anything." Moonfall meowed, her voice breaking.

Sunfern drooped, his paws suddenly feeling heavy and clumsy. He walked out of the den to see Treepelt speaking with Goldensky and Featherpool. Her neck fur bristled and she raced out of camp, in the direction of the Sunclan border. What is she doing now? Sunfern thought.

Sunfern raced over to Goldensky and Featherpool, who were eating prey. Sunfern noticed that Featherpool's fur was matted and she looked run down and sick.

"Sunfern! Don't get too much closer. We don't want Featherpool's cold spreading and turning into whitecough...or even greencough." Goldensky said, waving her tail anxiously. Sunfern looked worriedly at Featherpool. It didn't look like a normal cold. He walked to the fresh-kill pile and picked up a squirrel. As he was going back to where Goldensky and Featherpool were, he saw Leapkit, Forestkit, Riverkit, Swiftkit, Honeykit, Willowkit, and Flamekit all gathered around a wad of moss.

"Okay! The goal is to keep it with you the longest! And remember, Swiftkit and I are almost apprentices so that means we will most likely win!" Leapkit's mew rang out. She hooked the moss ball and flung it in the air, catching it and running away from the other's.

"Hey! No fair! We're younger than you and you're faster than us!" Honeykit wailed.

Skystrike came out of the nursery, chuckling. "Honeykit, it's just a game. Go chase her! It doesn't matter if you win but just if you have fun." Skystrike meowed softly to her sister's kit.

The kit smiled happily and chased after Leapkit, who passed the ball to Swiftkit when Riverkit and Forestkit jumped at her. Sunfern turned back to the leaders and started walking to them again.

"I should make those two apprentices now..." Goldensky said, pointing to Leapkit and Swiftkit with her tail. Featherpool nodded, and got up shakily to the Moonrock with Goldensky on her heels.

"May all cats old enough to run in the moonlight gather here beneath the Moonrock." Featherpool and Goldensky's voices rang out in the clearing. Cats came out of dens, and gathered together. Swiftkit and Leapkit peeked out of the nursery, their mother pulling them back in to wash them.

"Swiftkit and Leapkit. Where are you?" Goldensky asked.

Swiftkit and Leapkit came bounding out, their fur and eyes shining. Leapkit sat next to Frostpaw, who glared at her angrily. Leapkit just grinned and beckoned to Swiftkit with her tail.

"Leapkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Leappaw. Your mentor will be Fierceheart. I hope Fierceheart will pass down all she knows on to you." Featherpool meowed, her voice strong despite her sickness.