All of the pent up feeling just came bursting. I began to cry, feeling overwhelmed.

Caroline hugged me.

"I just wanted to work and go out. Was that so much to ask? Xavier is different. He's cold and distant. I don't know what I'm doing wrong." I continued to cry.

I managed to calm down.

"Xavier has guards outside my bedroom door or the library, depending where I go. He won't let me go anywhere else in the house. I haven't seen the sun in a long time. I honestly feel like I'm going crazy. But I'm so happy you're here. I was hoping I could go to the UK with you. I want to be as far away from Xavier as possible." 

I saw Caroline shed a few tears. 

"I'm so sorry about what my brother's made you go through. That doesn't sound like the brother I know. But don't worry Audrey, you have my full support. I'm going to get you out of here. And once you're far away from this place and situated in your new life, I'm going to demand an answer from my brother." 

Caroline looked furious.

We decided to make a plan. Once Xavier was home we were both going to act normal. I was going to have to act like a loving wife and hopefully he wouldn't suspect I had already informed Caroline about everything.

Caroline told me she would get me my passport and other important documents since there was no way I wouldn't get caught by the guards if I tried rummaging through the house. She said I didn't need to pack a suitcase since it was going to be nearly impossible to get it past the guards. Instead she was going to give me all of the clothes she no longer used once we arrived in the UK. 

Our plan was to leave on my birthday. Caroline would find an excuse to get me out of the house and then I would leave. 

I would have to wait a few days and then finally I would be free.

Before I knew it, Xavier was home.

He had arrived pretty soon after Caroline.

I heard a knock on the door and Xavier came in.

I needed to pretend Caroline had no idea about our fight and that I was still the loving wife of Xavier.

So I walked toward him and hugged him. I kissed his cheek.

"You're home early." I said, sounding happy.

He looked pleasantly surprised and a bit taken aback.

"Yeah, I knew you weren't feeling well so I decided to get out of work early." 

It was a good excuse. But I knew the real reason he was home.

We headed downstairs to the dinning room to have some lunch. Caroline's husband came over so we all got to eat together.

Everything appeared normal. We talked about different things and Xavier and I acted like a normal married couple.

Caroline left to use the restroom and I
I knew this was just an excuse to find my passport and other important items.

Meanwhile I talked with Xavier and Caroline's husband.

I held Xavier's hand while I talked. I acted casual and made it seem natural.

He raised my hand to his lips and kissed it.

I turned to him and smiled. Then I continued my conversation with Caroline's husband.

I wasn't sure what Xavier was thinking. But he hadn't pushed me away yet. In fact he was being very affectionate.

This was all part of the plan to gain his trust, but to be honest I liked being near him, hugging him, holding his hand, and acting like a married couple.

I couldn’t admit it to myself but deep down I knew it was true. 

Caroline came back and we continued to talk for a bit. Then it was time for them to leave.

I hugged Caroline goodbye and she whispered in my ear.

"It's going to be ok." 

It was subtle so I was positive no one noticed.

I hugged Caroline's husband goodbye  and then they were gone.

My birthday was in two days and by then I would be prepared to leave this house and never come back.

I would no longer have to deal with Xavier’s possessive and cold demeanor. 

For now I'd have to act like everything was back to normal and I was a loving wife.

Xavier held my hand and we headed upstairs. 

As soon as we walked inside the bedroom, Xavier pulled me toward him and pressed his lips against mine.

I wanted to push him away and slap him. But he would realize right away that I was still angry with him and was only pretending that I was ok.

It wasn't an aggressive kiss, but a soft, gentle, loving kiss. It was like he was saying "I love you".

We stopped and he embraced me.

He kissed my head and continued to keep me in his arms. 

"Let's go to bed." He said. 

We both got ready for bed and we slept side by side.

I hugged him like I normally did before our fight and I fell asleep in peace knowing I would escape this place. I only hoped things would go as planned.

END OF CHAPTER 17

(I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to VOTE if you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading my book.☺💖 Until next time everyone.😁)