Grandparent's House

Grandparent's House
Posted by justaverage

I live near Okinawa, Japan.

One morning I woke up and found a letter in my mailbox. This letter was from my grandmother, who lived in a town two hours from where I live. My grandfather had disappeared eight months ago during a heavy earthquake which ruined many houses in his neigborhood. So there was a very big grievance over his disappearance. My grandmother asked me to come visit her because she thought she was going crazy. She didn't feel comfortable alone in her big house.

That same day I went to see her and I walked to her front door and knocked. No one answered. I saw a small little light through the window. As soon as I looked it went out. I didn't have a key to the house but when I turned away to leave, a neigbor came to tell me that my grandmother had been taken to the old folks home in town. She had been found by him when he was going to fix the sink for her. He told me that my grandmother was suffering alot and that she had lost her voice, which she didn't tell me in the letter. I went to see her and when I saw her I was amazed how weird she looked. She looked 10 years older in such a short period. She turned towards me and handed me a letter and told me to go to her house and look for my grandfather. I didn't know what she meant and she wrote down just go and see for yourself and come to tell me when you find something. She handed me the key to the front door.

I was surprised she ordered me to take a look in the house. I went to the house and when I walked inside the little light was on again, something must have been wrong with the electricity.

I went to the guest bedroom and put my stuff in the closet. I then went into town to eat something and when I returned it was around 8pm, so it was getting dark. When I was in the bathroom I looked outside the window and saw someone in the garden. Startled, I went outside but no one was there. So I took a shower, and then again the lights shut off. It freaked me out since I couldn't see a thing. Then I heard a sweet little voice. I don't know what that voice said but I didn't get frightened. It gave me a sweet feeling. This was strange because I would freak out normally when I hear a strange voice.

Then I heard a strange sound in the house and I searched for where the sound came from. I stumbled upon a closet. I opened it and discovered a door. This is where I discovered that there was a secret cellar in the house.
As I walked into that cellar I couldn't stand the stench I smelled. It was really bad and when I walked downstairs I immediately called the police.

My grandfather's corpse was lying there but he was not lying there alone. More then seven other corpses were in the basement. The police investigated everything but they couldn't determine what really happened. They said that my grandfather probably had taken some people to his basement to shelter them from the earthquake. But this couldn't be true since the basement was still intact. So how could those people have died? I wouldn't be writing this but my grandmother wrote me a letter since then and told me that she thinks the neighbor I saw the day I arrived had something to do with it all. Perhaps he was the man I saw in the garden.

The case is still unsolved and my grandmother passed away before knowing what really happened. Now their house is known as a ghost house, but I haven't given up on finding what really happened underneath that house.