Chapter One

Tang Shengyi opened her eyes slowly.  The last thing she remembered was being hit on the head by something, then falling into the water.  She looked around, but the sudden movement made her head pound, and she lifted a hand to prod gingerly at the lump forming on the back of her skull.

Sitting up, she contemplated her current situation.  She was lying alone at the edge of the lake she had been attempting to cross by raft earlier.  Given that the surface of the water was still, it was highly unlikely that she had simply been carried to the lakeshore by the current.  That meant someone must have pulled her out, but there was no sign of life anywhere.

Getting to her feet, Shengyi attempted to wring the worst of the water out of her soaked skirt and considered her options.  She had made it to the other side of the lake, at least, even if the method of doing so wasn't entirely to her liking, and the pouch holding her money and most precious belongings was still firmly attached to her belt.  The only thing to do, therefore, was simply carry on her journey, and she could thank her saviour at a future date if they ever made themselves known.

She glanced up at the sun.  It was high in the sky and its rays beat down fiercely on her upturned face.  That meant it was most likely the middle part of the day.  Just around lunchtime.  While the heat did not make for a good travelling companion, it did mean that her clothing would dry out quickly, and she did not have the luxury of waiting around in her undergarments with her dress draped over a branch for the next hour or so.  If whatever hit her had been deliberately aimed, the perpetrator may return at any time to check on their handiwork.

Decision made, Shengyi turned to face east and set out along a faintly visible path leading away from the water's edge.  With any luck, she would reach the provincial capital by nightfall.

Tang Shengyi was no sheltered maiden, but neither could she be said to be particularly worldly.  After her parents died young, she had been raised by her aunt and uncle in a small community on the outskirts of Jing Province.  There, she had learned martial arts alongside her male cousins, and matters of household management in the company of her aunt.  While she could not be described as exceptional in any way, Shengyi was content to refer to herself as well-rounded and generally quite self-sufficient, which was why she was now making her way, alone, to the largest provincial city within a few days' walking distance.

It was time to strike out on her own, she had decided.  She did not want to be a burden to her aunt and uncle any longer, and she had no desire to marry any of the eligible young men in the surrounding area.  Those that devoted themselves to physical exploits were not exactly good conversationalists, and the ones who did focus on their studies believed themselves to be intellectually superior.  Neither option was particularly appealing.

When it had become clear that Shengyi's mind was made up, her aunt had suggested that she make her way to the provincial capital and become an apprentice to a distant, but well-disposed relative with a successful herbalist business.  The arrangement had been finalised in short order, and the young woman was now on her way to begin her new life.

The rest of Shengyi's journey passed uneventfully, and when she finally reached the inn that her aunt had recommended, she was relieved to find that they still had a room available.  Staying awake only long enough to consume a bowl of noodles, she then stretched out on the comfortable bed and was asleep in moments.

Just a few short hours later, Shengyi sat bolt upright.  She looked out of the window.  The moon was still high.  She would not have woken naturally at this hour.  Something must have disturbed her.  She sat quietly for a moment, and as her eyes adjusted to the dark, a patch of white light appeared a few feet in front of her and slowly began to expand.  Before long, the fuzzy shape resembled a person.  From the look of it, it was a man, and he appeared to be sitting at the bottom of her bed.