13

"We need to bring Y/n to Lottie's grave." Elijah announced as he stepped back into the library.

"What?" Klaus asked.

"I went into her head. It showed me her speech that she made at Lottie's wedding. Lottie is the secret to her emotions. She hasn't grieved her yet." He spoke expecting some kind of joy to bounce off Klaus and Freya.

"Lottie is the whole reason she turned her bloody emotions off in the first place. You want to remind her of that pain to get her to grieve all over again?" Klaus asked.

"I know brother but you weren't there when she gave that maid of honour speech. Lottie raised her to be the woman she is today. She was her best friend. Of course when she died it killed her. You would do the exact same thing if you lost myself, Rebekah, Freya, Kol even Finn." Elijah explained.

"It's worth a shot." Freya said. "It's better than putting Charlie's life at risk by bringing him here."

"Okay fine but you need to find some way to keep her subdued." Klaus raged at Freya.

"I've got a spell that can keep her calm and put these chains on her wrists." She handed the boys some medieval looking chains. "They'll keep her hunger at bay for a couple hours and make sure she can't run away."

Literally 45 minutes later Y/n was on her way to the cemetery chained at the wrist and not upset or angry. She was emotionless. Staring at the seat in front of her in the car, she was silent.

Once they'd arrived with a Mikaelson brother on each arm, they made their way to Lottie's grave. The stone was beautifully carved and had a smiling photo of Lottie on the front. Under it it said "In memory of Lottie Mitchell, a loving wife, daughter and sister. Taken too soon from those who loved her." The boys knelt Y/n down in front of it and it was like she awoke. But it was a mix of rage and sadness. She stared at it for a while before saying anything.

"You think showing me my sisters grave was going to magically turn on my emotions?" She looked at them. "You think because she's dead I'm just going to crumble into a crying mess?" She stood up in front of the men.

"Just because my best friend was killed in a car accident and taken out of this world, I'd begin sobbing for days on end. Well it's not going to work. So just stop trying!" She yelled in Elijah's direction.

"You say it won't work, but you're crying right now." He pointed out. She lifted her hands to her face and felt the tears that had fallen down her face.

"You know that feeling you are getting right now, the slow weight being lifted off your chest? That's your emotions fighting their way back through. You want to grieve Lottie. You missed her funeral, you haven't spoken to Charlie—"

"No no no no no!" She yelled her hands now pulling at her hair.

"Let it in Y/n!" Elijah yelled. "Let it in!"

"No!" She yelled, the tears were now streaming down her face.

"Let it in." Elijah said once more.

Y/n stood still panting and her eyes fluttered closed.

After a few seconds they shot open again.

"Lottie's not really dead is she?" Y/n sobbed wiping tears from her face. "Please tell me it was all a dream."

Elijah turned her to face the grave stone once more not letting her go. Y/n collapsed and screamed out in pain seeing the smiling picture of her sister looking back at her. Elijah fell to the ground with her, his arms wrapping themselves around her. She clung onto him and wailed. Her heart was shattering into a million pieces all over again. Elijah looked at the grave with Y/n, their heads side by side and he was fighting to hold back the tears. Klaus and Freya began shedding a few behind them, not being able to see Y/n in this much pain.

"She's really gone." Y/n sobbed.

She stayed knelt down with Elijah until it was dark which was a good few hours. He hadn't let go of her, and she hadn't asked him to. She hadn't stopped crying but it had reduced to a sniffle. Elijah had given her his handkerchief and it was now soaked with her tears.

"I don't want to leave her alone." Y/n finally spoke.

"She's not alone." Elijah gestured to the grave next to Lottie's. Oliver Harrison it read. Their dad. This pushed out a few more tears from Y/n and she turned herself and hugged Elijah.

"Thank you for being here." She cried. She pulled back and rested her forehead on Elijah's.

"Always." He replied.

— — —

Months had past and Y/n was finally beginning to move on with life without Lottie. She was back in her apartment and was living her life as a safe and human-friendly vampire.

She looked at the clock beside her bed and sighed. 9:43am. She should probably get up. She stood, dragging herself to her closet. After throwing on some clothes she trudged through to the kitchen to make breakfast. She reached for a blood bag from her fridge and was startled when a body appeared in front of her when she closed the fridge door.

"Hello love." Klaus smiled.

"Jesus Klaus. You scared the shit out of me." She said with a hand pressed against her chest.

"My apologies." He laughed.

"What are you doing here?" She asked sipping from her blood bag.

"Well I was hoping to ask you if you'd accompany me to the Mikaelson ball tonight." He smiled at her. The blood bag slowly moved away from her mouth.

"Wow," She started. "I'm honoured that you'd ask me..."

"But?" He continued the smile fading from his face.

"This is the thing I was dreading having to talk to you and Elijah about." She placed the blood bag on the counter, took Klaus' hand and lead him over to the couch.

"You have to choose between me and my brother." Klaus said before Y/n could get any words in. "And you don't know who to choose." He finished.

"I have so much history with Elijah. I was engaged to him. Yes he did cheat but we know now that he was spelled. He didn't do it on purpose. He loved me just as much as I loved him. Those deep feelings that I had for such a long time never really go away. But I also have history with you. You took care of me when I ended things with Elijah and when my sister died. You were my rock during the lowest part of my life and there's nothing I can do that can ever make up for that." She spoke.

"You need time is what you're trying to say." He said. Y/n nodded.

"Yeah, this is a big decision and I don't want to ruin anything between you and Elijah."

"Love, he's been my brother for a thousand years. I've been through thick and thin with him and he's never left my side. No matter who you choose, I will still have my brother. No need to worry." He smiled and kissed her hand. He left the apartment leaving Y/n alone with the question on her mind, 'Who will I choose to spend the rest of my life with?'.