"Alright then, we'll have a tournament. First one to go down loses."

Remus sighed and crushed a few leaves in his hands. "Stupid and dangerous. Perfect."

James and Sirius ignored him. They stood a few paces from each other, then both bowed and took their stances. Peter stood in the center, playing referee. "Alright, I want a good clean fight," he said, mimicking what Madam Hooch said before every quidditch match. "Ready... and... go!" He dove out of the way as sparks flew. James and Sirius both dodged each other's spells.

"Entrailia expulso!" cried James, waving his wand at Sirius.

"Locomotor Mortis!"

Again, both dodged and came up laughing. "Did you just try and make me shit myself?" Sirius asked, circling James with his wand at the ready.

"Nothing's off the table," said James. "Titillando!"

"Tarantallegra!"

The duel got more intense, both boys firing spells at rapid speeds. Their shouts grew louder as they dodged and ducked, firing just as fast. They were a good match for one another. Both were near the top of their class in Defense and were pretty well known for having a vast toolbox of spells at the ready at all times. "Furnunculus!" James shouted before ducking and rolling under Sirius's stunner.

"Stop!" a shrill voice rang across the grounds.

Sirius and James froze. Remus sat up and squinted at the tall figure approaching them. "Damn," muttered Sirius.

"What in the bloody name of Godric do you think you're doing?" McGonagall roared, her expression livid.

James and Sirius exchanged a look, then quickly stowed their wands away and turned to McGonagall with identical looks of innocence. "We were just practicing, Professor," said James.

"Practicing-" McGonagall sputtered.

"Yes, we thought you knew," Sirius said quickly, "Professor Bones gave us permission to practice the new spells we've been taught outside at night because James always has quidditch practice in the evening. I was just trying to help him study. It's O.W.L year, you know, I don't want him to fall behind."

James nodded profusely. "Right, and we had a pass somewhere... Remus?"

Remus pretended to root around in his bag for almost a solid minute. "We must've left it in the dormitory," he said, his tone perfectly convincing. "Peter, you're so forgetful sometimes. Professor, why don't we go grab that pass for you and we can get the whole thing squared away."

McGonagall was eyeing him sharply, almost convinced. Remus was a good student, so when he lied, most teachers believed him. All four boys thought they were in the clear until McGonagall rounded on Peter. "Pettigrew?" Remus, James, and Sirius all cringed.

"Yes?" Peter said timidly.

"Is this true?" She pierced him with her gaze. "Did you have permission from Professor Bones to do this?"

Sirius and James stared at Peter, pleading him with their eyes to lie effectively. Peter choked. "Ah- well- yes, Professor," he said timidly. "Yeah, I think he did."

"You think?"

Then, Peter let out the little nervous laugh he always did when he wasn't sure of himself. Sirius's shoulders slumped and he slapped his hand to his forehead. Peter was practically trembling under McGonagall's stare. "Ah- well-"

"Up to the castle! All of you!" McGonagall cried. "Dumbledore will hear about this, mind you."

James sighed and waited for Peter and Remus to get up before turning to head back up towards the castle. "Give us our best, Professor, will you?"