2.4

______

“You could've been discovered” Vex yelled at you three after you had told him about everything, which you totally knew was going to happen, i mean come on it was Varvatos you shouldn't expect much else.

“The humans must never see us in our native non-saggy forms” You know you should be paying attention to what he is saying but all you're picking up is that he still hates the form mother chose for him.

He pointed a finger at Krel who looked intimidated “how were we supposed to know the transduction would wear off?” Yeah vex should've thought that one through.

“My apologies, it seems the effect lasts only 12 horvaths before it requires re-implementation.”

“Now you tell us”

“What is happening to you? What is that?”

Aja, who had taken a place next to you on the couch seemed very unlike herself with the exception of a fluid running out of her eyes.

“My eyes are leaking”

“Humans call this discharge of bodily fluid “Tears”, they are the result of extreme emotional states accompanied by the irrational expulsion of liquid from the ocular sphere.”

All of the scientific words that you didn't understand aside, Aja was sad, which was surprising because she seemed so put together the whole day. It just goes to show that people may not be as happy as they seemed. That much you had learned.

Aja was your friend, sister even and you would rather endure the worst punishment known in akiridion-5 Than see her hurting like this.

There weren't very many solutions, you weren't very good with your own emotions let alone someone else's. So you opted to lean over and give her a sideways hug like the old times, back on Akiridion, where she was happy.

“Oh, Aj” You said as you started to rub small circles on her arm in a (What you hoped was a) comforting manner.

“Are you okay?” Krel asked his sister.

You felt her shoulders tense up from your touch, at least you knew you were helping somehow. “I- I don't know, I was thinking about how we're never going to find a Daxial Array and we'll never save mama and papa and then… I think this is what it means to be afraid”

You were afraid, of course you were, but you never even once stopped to consider how she was feeling about this. After all they were her parents who are regenerating off of the ship's low power, and it was her who lost her title as Queen on akiridion, you didn't even feel half the amount of pain she was.

How could you have been so selfish? You should've been there for her when she needed you the most.

“I don't want to be queen.” Aja said softly.

Krel handed over the ceremonial item to Vex who held it securely.

“And you won't be, you will be Queen-in-waiting.” Vex reminded her. Maybe this could solve a problem or two.

Krel spoke “hey, before the ceremony, Papa told me that we are all each other has.” Ah, you remember that, you were starting to miss the king's boring lectures and speeches.

“Thats why im not afraid, because i have you” You didn't miss the small sideways glance he gave you, it almost made you crack a smile.

It just felt wrong to do anything when Aja wasn't her usually bubbly self. “All I ever wanted was to be normal, but Mama told me I wasn't.” Was the last thing she said before standing up and walking to Vex, who was already prepared.