Chapter 4

Bruce was shot. No one knew what condition he was in, just that he was found bleeding out in the middle of the hallway. Everyone knew it was Elena. She wanted to diminish him, now that her use for him was over. The scariest thing was that Bruce was not healing as quickly as he used to. Elena must've done something to make the shot lethal. Everyone knew it was impossible to kill the hulk, until now. 

Nat came running, tears streaming down her face. She may hate him, but she didn't want him dead. The worst thing was that she had said so many hurtful things, she didn't know if she would get the chance to apologize. She wiped her tears, forcing herself to stop crying and focus on the situation. She needed to find out how she could help him. When she got there, Bruce was unconscious on a stretcher, he was covered in blood. She clasped her hand to her mouth in horror, she had never seen Bruce in this condition before. It was horrifying. 

Steve and Tony were there as well, trying to decipher the bullet that pierced Bruce. "I've never seen anything like this before," Steve said, as he examined the bullet. "It looks familiar. I just need to run some tests on it and hope we can identify it." Tony said as he took the bullet from Steve. "Let us know what you find out," Steve said firmly, as Tony walked. "Sure thing, Cap." Steve then noticed Nat. His expression turned into sympathy. "Nat, I don't know what to say. I can't believe Elena would take him out like that, in broad daylight. Do you think she was planning to kill him?" He asked, pulling her in for a hug. "I don't know what her intentions are but I do know that she didn't mean to kill him. It was to wound him severely. She knew he was our muscle. She probably thought taking him out would weaken our team." Nat explained, wringing her hands nervously. 

"Steve, what if he doesn't make it. I said all those horrible things to him. I don't want us to end on bad terms." Nat said as tears stung her eyes. "Nat, He will be okay. I know you regret all the things you said to him but that didn't mean they weren't true. If he didn't get shot, you wouldn't have regretted saying those things would you?" He asked, making a valid point. "You're right. I would not have regretted it. Let's hope he recovers soon. He doesn't deserve to go out like this." Nat said, sternly as she wiped away her tears. "Elena will pay for what she did. Not only to Bruce but to James as well. No one messes with my team." Nat growled, her hands clenched into fists.

***

Bucky had seen how Nat reacted to Bruce getting shot. A part of him felt that she cared more about Bruce getting hurt than she cared for him. Maybe she was still in love with him and she lied to him about it. That thought made him burn with rage. How could she do that to him? He gave her everything and she wanted to choose someone who is pathetic enough to have the Winter Soldier assassinated. Bucky snickered. What a fool he had been believing that Nat was over her ex. He felt like such an idiot. He knew someone as good as her would go back to a more decent person, someone who could provide her with stability. Bucky clenched his fists, he felt so stupid to think that there was someone who could fall in love with him, the Winter Soldier. 

He sighed, in frustration. What the hell was wrong with him. Why was he acting like a jerk? He knew his insecurities ran deep but he never thought it would be that bad. He loved Nat more than anything. He would do absolutely anything for. He knew she loved him so much, she always reassured him of that. She never got annoyed with him whenever he had doubts. That made him love her even more and it just proved how much she loved him. He sighed, rubbing his hands over his face. He can become so agitated so quickly and for no reason. He was glad he was alone at the moment. He could manage his emotions and anger better. 

Nat was the love of his life. He wasn't going to let his jealousy ruin his relationship with her. This was exactly what Elena wanted. She wanted him to be filled with jealous rage so she could take advantage of that. He was not going to give her what she wanted. His love for Nat was stronger than his jealousy. Nothing could ever come in between him and Nat.