24. Twoset Gloved IX

Start from the beginning

Brett gazed at Eddy walking away, till he noticed Monica staring at him.

"...What is it, Monica?"

"Brett, I'm sorry for interrupting.."

Brett sighed.

"Monica.. so what exactly did you want to talk to me about?"

"You and I.. us.. I wanted to suggest we become a couple"

Brett almost spat out his coffee as he turned to Monica in surprise.

Brett raised both his eyebrows in confusion.

"I.. beg your pardon?"

"You do realise.. that life could become easier that way?"

Monica glanced towards Brett's gloved hands.

"Look at those..."

Brett bit his lower lip.

"Look at these..."

Monica pulled up her sleeves to show her gloved hands.

"Mum regularly orders takeaway food now and she makes me go pick it up.. she says it's part of my therapy. I find it quite stressful and I haven't been able to take a bite out of any of the food I bring home anyway.. the sad saga of a germaphobe.."

"..It must be difficult"

"It is.. and the future is so grim... it's terrifying.. How do you cope when every person you've ever liked, anyone who is remotely a potential love interest looks like they're smeared with.. germs.. and you just can't get close to them.."

"I'm sorry to hear.."

Monica looked up.

"But if it was you, Brett. You would understand, wouldn't you? I can still be fond of someone and care about them, even if I can't touch them.  You could understand that and you could.. accept me? Even if I couldn't touch you and even if you couldn't touch me back? I would understand and accept you. I've known you since high school. You were always so nice to me. I respect you for keeping everything together, knowing how hard it is to do so.  And I hope you think the same about me, too.  So even if we can't function as a couple in a physical sense, we could still make it look like we did, you know. We could fit into what you would call normality. Get our mums off our backs. And so, y'know, it would also save them from their frustration and anguish, too.."

Monica let out an exasperated sigh.

"Because I.. I'm just so tired.. I.. I just want to be regarded as normal..!"

"Monica.."

Brett went completely quiet. Monica patiently waited.

Finally, Brett raised his face and looked into Monica's eyes.

"Monica, for as long as I can remember, all I wanted was a bit of space from my prying mother. I thought my life would become a bit easier if she just eased off a bit, you know..."

Monica nodded.

"Yes, exactly. I know exactly what you mean, Brett. And we can make that happen if we can put their minds at ease by us being together..."

"You're right. So I think I would've gone with your plan.."

Monica looked up and gazed towards Brett.

"You would..?"

"Well, up until a couple of days ago, yes, I may have just gone with that idea."

Monica furrowed her brows.

"..But?"

"But I can't go with that idea anymore. Things have changed."

Monica tilted her head in question.

"I'm sorry Monica. As crazy and challenging as my life is.. I'd rather try to live it like this with Eddy, than take the easy path with you."

"..Really..?"

Brett looked up.

Eddy stood blushing.

"Eddy.."

Eddy slowly blinked, then started to stammer.

"Brett.. I.. I hate ..mushrooms.. I.. came back to ask you if it was okay if I ask them not to put them in our stir fry."

"Eddy, I hate mushrooms too. Asking them not to add them to our dish, I think is the most brilliant idea."

Monica smiled.

"..I'm sorry for even suggesting my idea Brett. I'm envious you've found someone worth facing your challenges for."

Monica got up from her chair and waved to the two young men and left the uni cafeteria.