For Once, Stabbing IS Encouraged

Start from the beginning

Dala greeted his pair, one pulling him aside with a curt nod to the newcomers. They spoke in hushed tones about supplies running low and how they needed their leaders to discuss solutions, Dala included. That in mind, the man relegated tour duties. "I have an urgent matter to attend to," he told the Runeholders before turning to Merritt. "I leave them in your capable hands."

Merritt accepted with no more than a nod and a grunt of affirmation. He wasn't a man of many words, so Brady had noticed, but as Dala and the Manabe who'd met the returning party went on their way, he addressed them. "We'll start at the infirmary."

"But what about her?" Sachi asked softly, gazing back at Kels— more specifically, at Adalin, where she rested on her fellow Manabe's back.

"They'll assign someone to set up memorial before we bury her," Merritt explained. "Whoever that might be, they'll find us."

As somber as it was to consider, it made the most sense to take Adalin along with them to the infirmary, as it was the most logical spot to bring a body at the camp. The less attention they drew, the better. She was friend to these people. Family. And she was gone... parading her through the settlement was only bound to take a heavier toll than her death would cause on its own.

Merritt knew this too, as he suggested that they keep close to the camp borders. "They shouldn't have to see her like this."

Kels snapped her powerful jaws at that in unspoken harsh agreement. The sound made Braedyn flinch.

Merritt glanced Kels' way and sighed deeply, but other than that, he let her wallow. He simply waved for the group to follow as he changed his course towards the outskirts. The infirmary was at the far end of camp, and the walk was smothering in its silence. The only things to be heard were the scuffing of their feet and the protest of nature around them. Sachi positioned himself right in between Brady and Phoena, one Runeholder on each side like a wall of protection.

When they reached the tent, Merritt held his hand out for them to wait. "Just a moment. I should warn them."

About Adalin.

Brady shut out the thoughts that surrounded him. He didn't want to know their devastation that deeply; hearing it would be painful enough. That startled shriek and the sobbing that had only just begun to waver when Merritt stuck his head back out. "Come in. Kels first." They made room for the Manabe to sneak past, the remaining three entering just after her.

Merritt stood across the room, two healers at his side, with a few cots prepared. There was a mat on the floor as well, covered in a stark white sheet. Jutting his fingers at each, Merritt's introductions were half-assed at best. First: "Thisbe," and then: "Kairos."

"We'll do what we can to help your friends," Thisbe promised, her eyes still red-rimmed as she sniffed to keep her nose from running. She gave Kairos a nudge, the other healer seeming more disoriented than her, despite her tears. His head shot up, and the forced smile he wore had Brady frowning.

"Thank you," Phoe said. "If we can help at all, let us know."

Healing practices were something Brady was exceptionally familiar with, after all, given his time spent at the capital's infirmary, so he could be an asset. "I do know some tricks of my own."

"We appreciate it." Kairos' expression relaxed, softening up his features, but there was still a grit to his voice that betrayed his true emotions. "Could you—" He paused to take a steadying breathe as his eyes drifted over to Kels. "Could you help us move them?"

Of course, by that he meant with Adalin. They couldn't bear handling her lifeless corpse.

"I can do it," Phoena volunteered. She approached Kels, carefully lifting the dead Manabe. She looked so small in Phoena's arms; it was hard to believe she'd ever been one of these massive shapeshifting creatures. Merritt directed her over towards the mat, helping Kairos and Thisbe to grab the others himself. Callan, Erzia, and Soleil were each laid on one of the cots, so that the healers could examine them properly. Phoena relived Brady from the duty of watching Sachi, since he was more useful in such a situation than she could hope to be. She was better suited to keeping the boy's attention off his brother, despite being concerned about his state herself. It wouldn't do either of them any good, worrying about something they couldn't control, as aggravating as it was to sit back and wait. They could distract each other.