She knew what they said behind her back. That he'd ditched her. That his sights were already set elsewhere, on the countless girls waiting for him at college.

If only they knew the truth.

He wasn't strong enough for me, she wanted to say. He was too soft for my world.

But their words were only superficial wounds. They pricked at her pride—nothing more, and nothing less. She had endured worse.

It had taken her by surprise, how easy it was to let him go. She'd expected a breakup to involve more...theatrics. A few tears. Maybe even a late night text or two. Rachel had certainly caused a scene after her breakup in the eighth grade, all for some boy named Jared. 

But Calla had survived death and the obsessions of a killer. She certainly wasn't going to crumble over some boy she'd given her body to. This miserable town didn't deserve such a spectacle.

"Like I said. I'm fine." Calla paused outside of her classroom. "Any news?"

She asked the same question every day. And every day, the answer remained.

Stephanie hesitated. "Actually..."

Calla gripped her forearm. "Tell me."

"He's awake." Stephanie was smiling. "Mrs. Greenfield told me."

Hope—bright and hot and furious—seized her.

"I gotta go." Stephanie tossed a hand over her shoulder. The bell would be ringing soon, and seniors or not, they still had classes to attend. "I'll update you after school."

Calla leaned against the wall, ignoring the voices that drifted from inside the classroom. He's alive. He's awake. She closed her eyes and smiled.

Tom Sahein, the boy who had been a thorn in her side for so many months. Awake at last. And maybe, if she were so lucky, he would have answers for her.

A locker closed nearby. Calla opened her eyes to find a familiar figure skulking down the hall, his head bowed beneath his hood. Deep in her belly, the beast flicked its tail, amused.

"Blake," she called, shoving away from the wall.

He startled at the sound of his name. He'd been avoiding her like the plague for weeks now. On the rare occasion their eyes would meet, he'd find a way to lose himself in the crowded halls. And that was only when he was at school. Half his classes were held over at a technical institute in the city, where he was working overtime to earn credits toward his degree.

"Calla." He managed to make her name sound utterly undesirable.

She smiled at him. He wasn't fooled.

"I've been meaning to talk to you." She hovered in front of him, poised to strike a verbal blow. "Tom's awake."

His gaze darted away from hers. "I heard."

And you seem so very thrilled by the news, she thought. "Blake. About that night, at the party..."

"I've got to get to class."

He tried to sidestep her, but she blocked his path. Calla's smile withered away to nothing. "I'm not stupid, you know. You found something on Steph's computer. Didn't you?"

His jaw tightened. He looked her over, as if deciding what sort of threat she might pose if provoked.

You have no idea.

"I told you what I found," he said slowly. Carefully. "If she has dirt on us, it's not on that computer." 

Liar. The accusation lodged in her throat.