"Now listen to me..." Vic spoke to her in a whisper, very firmly, her lips almost touching her hair as she explained that they are perfectly safe... that the lights would turn on... and the lift would be in motion in a matter of minutes... that the people are working right now to remedy whatever the problem is.

It didn't help. "I can't stand it!" Mika could hardly get her voice out... she was so frightened. "Being suspended in mid-air like this... I can't stand it!"

"Oh sweetie, we are not dangling on a piece of cotton!" This time Vic gave her a technical explanation, something about cables and counter-balances, but Mika just shook in her shoes.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, woman..." Vic pulled her closer, enveloping her with one arm against her body. Her free hand moved to the back of her head and suddenly, she was kissing her.

There was a split second delay while Mika's brain assimilated what was happening. A warm feeling run through her spine and she kissed her back... whereabouts completely forgotten. When Mika realized what was happening, she wrenched her head away, her hands moving up to push against her chest. "What the... Stop!"

"Shut up!" It was a command. Vic's breath was cool and fresh against her mouth. The hand at the back of her head became firmer and the arm around her body became vice. She was kissed with a ruthlessness which drove all her fears of the darkness and free-fall away only to be replaced with a new kind of fear.

Sure she was taller than her boss. But to struggle against Vic Galang was futile. She was strong. It also became less and less undesirable as Vic's mouth moved against hers, parting her lips until she was being kissed with an intimacy which caused her to tremble all over again. It seemed that all the strength in her body drained from her fingertips and toes. There was an instance when Vic lifted her head... only to move her lips to Mika's neck, to cover the soft, perfumed skin with little explorative kisses before meeting once again with her mouth.

And it was indeed a meeting. She was kissing her back again because it was too good.... Too delicious to be denied. Mika's arm moved around Vic, holding her closer so that the entire length of their body was against each other.

The sudden flickering of lights was a shocking intrusion.

Vic let go of her, looking at her eyes which were hooded, showing not the slightest trace of emotion, telling her nothing at all as the lift continued its descent.

Mika's cheeks were flaming under Vic's gaze, her nonchalance. She stared at her with accusation in her eyes. "What was that for?"

One dark brow rose sardonically. "My dear, Mrs. Ravena, I should have thought it obvious." She shrugged, stepping aside as the lift opened on the ground floor. "I had to think of something to counteract your hysteria."

.

.

.

Mika was silent for a long time on the drive to Ortigas. She was shaken, and it had nothing to do with her being trapped in the lift. She and Vic were in the backseat of the white Rolls Royce and though there was a panel of glass separating them from the driver, they had no need for privacy. Nothing was said for a long time. She kept her eyes on the passing scenery, feeling acutely self-conscious and foolish.

Vic's kiss had resurrected in her something which had died long ago... something which had died when Kiefer died. Confusion and guilt had descended on her like a damp fog. She knew, now, why Vic Galang's presence affected her the way it did. She was attracted to her boss physically. Had such idea not been so alien to her thinking, she would have realized it earlier... weeks ago. She was physically attracted to her boss and she didn't want to be. It felt like... like a betrayal to Kiefer, and telling herself that Kiefer was gone forever did not lessen her sense of guilt.