Emmett and Alice kept a running commentary going on, but Edward didn’t say a word, so I fell back to walk beside him.

“Are you okay?” I asked him, and he gave me a small smile.  

“Yeah, I’m getting there.  Being dumped, especially over the phone, sort of sucks,” he said quietly, and I nodded.

“Were you guys together for long?”

“Since freshman year, and I never thought we’d break up.  Stupid, huh?” he asked, giving me a wry smile.

I shrugged.  “I guess if you believe it’s the right person, then why would you question your relationship.  My parents were like that.  They were together since they were fifteen, and they got married right after graduation.  They had me not long after that, but then, things fell apart.”

“That sucks.  So, you live with your dad?”

I shook my head as I ducked underneath a low hanging branch.  

“Nope.  I live with my mom, but it was okay at first because we only lived a few blocks from my dad, but when I was ten, she moved us to Florida.  Now, I only see my dad during the summer and the occasional holiday.”

“That’s got to be hard.  I can’t imagine what I’d do if my parents split up.”

“I’ve gotten used to it,” I told him with a shrug.

As we hiked up a rather large hill, Edward and I slowly got to know one another and at one point, I saw Alice look back at us, and she had a silly little smile on her face.  I didn’t even want to know what she was thinking.

“Let’s take a break,” Alice suggested about three miles in, and we all eagerly agreed.

The weather was starting to get really warm, so we stopped near a small stream and settled down on some large rocks for a bit.  We ate a snack, drank some water, and got wet when Emmett splashed all of us with water.  

“I can’t believe you’re leaving in two weeks,” I told Alice as we sprawled out on our backs on a couple of giant boulders.

“I know, but we’ll keep in touch.  I promise.”

“Oh, I’m not worried.  I am going to be lonely, though.”

She rolled over on to her stomach and propped herself up on her elbows.

“Maybe some super-hot guy will show up, and you can get a little summer romance going.”