His jaw tightened. She noticed from the corner of her eye as he clenched the wheel tighter. Darkness always seemed to overcome his features when she discussed her home. Not much else bothered him, but he really didn't seem to like that. "Winona, this is your life now."

Every part of Negan that had grown on her since being there, that made her empathize and get along with him, drifted away when the topic of her family came up. The topic simply didn't work well between the two. Winona was set on leaving, and Negan knew he couldn't let that happen. Sometimes she couldn't help but wonder why, though. At first, it sure was a punishment that put her in her place, but it didn't feel the same anymore. It almost felt as if she was being welcomed into the community rather than being punished by them, and if that were the case, she didn't see a reason to be held against her will any longer.

She looked at her lap. "You have a good community, Negan. Some really nice, strong, hard-working people here. I admire you for building and leading this yourself. I was stupid to think I could've stolen from you. Desperate times call for desperate measures." She wondered if she should stop there, but her lips kept going. "I hope you won't force me to stay here forever."

The topic almost dropped there. If she insisted she'd escape, despite what Negan said, it would've upset him too much.

"You could have gotten away with it. That's what draws me to you. I haven't met anybody with the skill and goddamn determination as you in a hell of a while. And hell, it's hot as fuck, I won't lie. But, if you don't want to be one of my wives, I respect your decision." He scratched the nape of his neck and grunted. "Shit, you're too good of a savior to let go of, anyways."

"Damn right."

"Don't get cocky."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Being around you so much is rubbing off on me, I think."

"Oh yea?"

"Mhm. I almost feel... better than everyone else."

His eyes rolled upward. "Laugh all you want, you can't think I'm that intolerable when you were just trying to get into my pants."

Her lips shut. Her banter was coming easy until he brought that up, and her mind blanked. He wasn't wrong — she most definitely tried to have sex with him, slightly drunk, but soberer than he'd seemed to recognize. She was ashamed. Not because it was him, but because he'd rejected her.  She didn't think she was too inebriated to make the decision, so she wasn't sure why he thought otherwise.

She still understood. If they had awoken the next morning and she'd regretted it, Negan wouldn't have known what to do with himself. That was the one line he would never cross in the fucked up world that brought out the evil in people. He'd kill, beat, torture people — but some things could be justified in a cruel world. Not rape.

"I don't think you're intolerable. Now stop bringing that up."

"What? That time where you tried to fuck me?"

"Yea, that."

He sucked in sharply through his teeth and shook his head. "Well, it'll be hard, but I'll try."
Winona eased up and laughed. "Why, cause you wish you took the chance?"

"No. I'll fuck you when you're thinking clearly."

She sunk back into her seat. Something about the way he said it made a pit form in her lower stomach, an unusual feeling swarming inside her. Her lips fell open as she gaped at him, not even realizing her deafening silence had gone on for a good few moments before Negan erupted with a hearty laugh.

"Where'd that big mouth go?" He asked.

She shot him a dirty stare then shifted her body to the window so that she was turned away from him. "Not where you wish it did."