The girl was small and slim, much like Nancy, but she held a confidence that was larger than life. Valerie's eyes were quick to find the blue ones of Nancy's from across the parking lot, who raised a confused eyebrow at her older twin and his girlfriend.

Valerie simply sent her a shrug before turning back to face her mom. "Write lots of little notes, my two lovesick babies," Rachel called out, as she started up her jeep, pulling out of the parking lot. "Ready?" Valerie questioned. Charlie let out a hum. "Nope." He snickered before pulling Valerie over to him, kissing her lips.

"Char." Valerie laughed out against the boy's soft lips. "We're going to be late." She spoke before the two reconnected, her eyes fluttering closed as she took in the warm feeling she felt swelling in her chest for a moment. Charlie was the one to pull away next, causing Valerie to pout lightly.

"Ready." He nodded, lacing his hand into Valerie's as he pulled the girl towards the entrance of the school. The pair was immediately met by more stares as they strolled through the hallway of the school.

While Valerie's perfectly curled hair and long, tanned legs, which were on full display in the fitted floral dress she wore, were sure to draw the attention of anyone in her vicinity it was the boy holding onto her that was of interest.

Charlie Wheeler had always been a Hawkins favorite and Valerie Archer was the only girl able to become as, if not more, popular than Carol. This, however, didn't stop the students of Hawkins high from being at a loss when it came to the odd pairing.

"See you later, scaredy boy?" Valerie proposed as they reached her locker. "See you later, new girl." Valerie glanced down the hall at the blonde she had watched moments before. "I think I'm not the new girl anymore, Char."

"No, no, no. Once a new girl always a new girl, Val." Charlie sent Valerie a playful grin before turning around so his back was facing her. "I don't think that's how it works," Valerie called out, but Charlie merely shook his head as he disappeared down the hall.

Only then did Valerie let out a sigh.

She hadn't slept well last night, or the night before, or the week before, or the month before. Frankly, Valerie hadn't had a good night's sleep in months. It was kind of hard to fall asleep when she knew there was a possibility she would wake up in the upside-down.

Her mother had been working hard to make a new medication for the girl's particularly sucky predicament. but it seemed to be a daring task to create something so specific out of thin air.

Valerie mindlessly opened her locker before shoving her stuff inside, leaving only her English and Art books in her bag, along with the copy of Carrie which Charlie had gifted her almost a year ago. The girl was knocked out of her sleep-deprived daze as she felt a presence to her side.

She could tell it wasn't anyone she knew. Valerie could feel auras, not the spiritual one but the chemical mix that radiated off of someone, each slightly different. Finally giving in Valerie tilted her head to the left, the new guy leaning against the locker beside hers with a sly smirk on his face.

Valerie raised her perfectly plucked eyebrow up at him, "Hi." She greeted smoothly before looking back towards her locker once again, fixing her lipstick in the small mirror that was surrounded by numerous polaroids and disposable photos.

The boy took note of the many photos of Valerie and Charlie. "Your friend sure knows how to make a guy feel appreciated." He smirked.  "Yeah, well, when my mom sees something she likes, she loses all manners and social cues."