One

"Clementine? Where are you going, honey? It's seven in the morning." My mothers voice cracks as she yawns between the words.

"Seven?! I'm already late! I'll see you at three in the afternoon! Love you Mother!" I yell before I shove the last of the oatmeal in my mouth and chug some water. Then I grab my lunch box and head out on my bike.

Upon arriving to the address I was given I lock my bicycle to the fence and do a 360 to take in the place, which is surrounded by grass and fields of plants. Part of it is open planes while the majority is different crops. In the distant I spot a faded red barn and a one-story home.

I grab my lunch bag and head to the barn. Once I reach the door I accidentally knock with enough force to shake the structure. I'm anxious for my first day at my new job and want to make a good impression but feel as if I'm being clumsy, as usual.

My mother's closest friend, Cheyenne, recommend I get a summer job because that's what girls are doing nowadays. Apparently the women's movement is picking up. Plus, they both said it's a good way to meet a gentlemen caller, since I am twenty-three and not getting any younger.

Any who, Cheyenne's brother owns this farm and also happens to have five sons around my age. Of course my mother forced me to accept the job, and here I am now, nervously waiting outside a rusty building to clean up feces and pull weeds. What a way to find a husband. "Hello you must be Cheyenne's friend, Catie." The rather old man holds his wrinkled hand out for me to shake.

However, I become offended anytime someone doesn't pronounce my name correctly, it's a common fruit and not that difficult to pronounce. I grab his large, calloused hand and shake it firmly. "It's Clementine, actually" I say with a huge smile across my face to hide the annoyance I already built up.

I don't think he hears me because he cuts me off and begins to explain my duties. "Okay Miss, you'll be tending to these three horses every need. You'll also be cleaning up after them. My son Caleb will assist you. And last, I need all the chickens in the coop to be cared for. Jacob's already started so he'll show you the ropes. Eggs out, food in. Any questions?" He explains with his thick Tennessee accent.

I half smile and shake my head. "Great. I'll be inside of you need anything Cate." I roll my eyes and try to brush off his stupidity. Unfortunately, as I begin to work I find out all his children are unintelligent, dimwitted, and unattractive. I am definitely not interested in them but slightly about this job.

A few hours and a lot of dirt later, I'm let off early. "I'll call you tomorrow, Girl. Write your telephone number here. I'll let you know when to come." I grab the pen and scribble the digits. "Thank ya, Lady." I fake smile for the millionth time today.

On my way home I realize he's not going to call me. I suppose I did a terrible job according to his standards, or perhaps it's because I declined his eldest son's, Jonathan, offer of a date. If I arrive home at one-thirty I know Mother will be curious and I do not want to talk about it. Instead, I head to the local post office to pick up our mail and chat with Paul, our mailman.

"Afternoon Clem. Here for your letters?" I nod and grin. I've been waiting for a postcard from my aunt. She travels around the country and sends one anytime she moves to a new place, which is usually every other week. Paul graciously hands me all our mail and I instantly tear through everything for the token from my aunt. As suspected, it hasn't arrived yet. However, I did receive a letter with no return address. I furrow my eyebrows and wonder who sent it. Without further hesitation, I tear it open to reveal an ink-stained piece of paper. It's filled with script front to back of three pages. After the first paragraph I nearly choke but force myself to read until the end. Sincerely, Jimmy Radford.