1

"Why should I listen to you again?" My best friend crossed her arms over her bosom and rolled her eyes at me for the 100th time. "Need I remind you, this is your 6th time skipping school for the past 2 weeks?" I took my laptop off of my lap and I placed it next to me on my bed and I looked over at my best friend who was standing at my door rocking her body left to right for comfort, "your so-called sneaky link is starting to become a problem" I massaged my temples as I got up and walked to the door where my best friend was standing, I stopped right in front of her and I crossed my arms while looking at her sweaty face; I tilted my head admiring the mischievous look she had on her face and smirked, I raised my hand to remove the strands of hair that was sticking to her face because of the sweat but before I could she huffed then brushed my hand away and walked past me.

Sighing as I looked at my door I stayed in that same direction as I began to speak again, "Sayir you're beginning to miss classes and I can't allow that to happen. Since your mom doesn't give a shit about what you tend to do with your life I'll fill in for her and I don't have a problem with that, the only thing left for me to do is to whoop your ass and you know I'll do it". I heard my bed shift and I turned around and look at her screwing up her face while taking off her backpack, I sighed and walked over to my bed that was messed up; half of my black satin sheets were brushing against my carpet-covered floor every time a movement was detected on top of the bed. I sat on the bed and I looked over at my best friend who wouldn't spare the time to look at me, I placed my hand on top of hers and smiled slightly "you know I only want what's best for you" she pulled her hand away from me and turned away so I could face her back, "leave me be Jaylen" I knew she was frowning like a child even though she wasn't facing my direction.

I shook my head and laid down on the bed while looking up at the ceiling, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath then I heard Sayir let out a shaky breath, "You remember that night when I was here the l-", "no" I cut her off and turned to face her "I told you not to bring that up again" she turned around looked at me, rolled her eyes then turned away from me again. "Why can't we talk about that?" She started to speak again but I heard her voice crack slightly this time, "why are you changing the subject? we weren't finished talking about you skipping school." I sat up in the bed and looked at her, she had one of my pillows over her head and both her hands rested in between her legs. "Hey, look at me" I started to poke her thighs so I could get her attention, but she wouldn't budge; I knew that she wasn't interested in me scolding her but I insisted so I kept annoying her until she eventually got up and looked at me with a blank expression on her face. "I'll leave now, I have to go home and cook anyways" she practically rolled out of my bed dragging the rest of my sheets with her. I got up shortly after her eyeing her up and down while she was getting the rest of her stuff so she could leave. "Do you want me to drop you home?" I leaned on my wall waiting for her response so I could grab my car keys, "no it's okay, I'll call an Uber."

I frowned a little when she didn't say yes but I didn't argue, I got up to open my room door while she was walking towards it; she was about to go out but I stretched out my hand and blocked her, "let's just forget about what happened that night okay?" She looked at me then rolled her eyes, she then pushed my hand and walked out. I let out a long breath then closed my door, I tried straightening up my bed when I heard my notifications on my phone going off, "what?" I mumbled to myself then I took up my phone from off of my nightstand.

Bestie: Just come drop me home

Bestie: I can't get an Uber

Bestie: I'm outside your house still

  Me: omw

I smiled to myself and took up my car key before running out of the house, I locked up the house and walked over to my garage, surprised to see my best friend leaning on the passenger side of my car. I know better not to say anything to her when we got in, she rolled her eyes about five times when we got in the car, she rolled her eyes when I got in, closed my door, when I started the car and when I turned on the AC. I ignored her and started to drive to her place, Sayir lived with her mom that was hardly home because of work so she's home by herself the majority of the time.

"Oh, so you're just gonna keep quiet and not say anything to me?" I knew she was gonna start with me sooner or later, "there's nothing to say" I shrugged and replied nonchalantly, she hit my dashboard and I flinched slightly. "Hey be careful, and don't hit my baby so hard either", I softly rubbed the area that she hit then looked at her screwing face; "really bitch? Why don't we talk about that night huh? Why do you keep brushing it off when I bring it up?" I kept my eyes on the road and just imagined that my best friend was slowly disappearing, but my thoughts were interrupted by her yelling "hello? I'm asking you a question?!" I looked over her and sighed in annoyance, she was well relaxed in the seat with her back leaned on the door and her body facing me with her hands crossed over her chest. She furrowed her brows with a questioning look, looking at me; I wanted to avoid her but I was already annoyed and I didn't want her to shout anymore.

"Sayir, we pinky swore to not bring it up again. And why is it that, you wanna bring it up now all of a sudden? You saw me last week and you didn't bring it up then, why did you bring it up back at my place? When I was scolding you for skipping school for some guy. I just feel like you want to change the subject and I'm not done talking to you about that either." I looked over at her after I was finished talking and the "crazy black mother" look she had on her face was no longer there, she looked taken back and guilty.

We both knew that she brought it up so that I could stop scolding her for skipping school, but we also knew that she brought it up because it was unforgettable, I knew that her being in my room would bring up some sort of memory. We had a lot of memories in that room, but that was the most recent one and I know that I shouldn't be hard on her for thinking about it but I didn't want to think about that again, our friendship is on the line because of me, because I couldn't control myself and I fear that she's looking at me differently.

"Jaylen we can't just push it away and forget about it like it didn't happen" but we could "just let us discuss what happened" no I can't "there's nothing to discuss," I said to her while I looked forward and kept my eyes on the road. She scoffed and turned away from me when she noticed that we were almost at her house. The rest of the ride was quiet, and when I parked outside her house she got out of the car and slammed the door shut without even saying a word, I shook my head and drove off back to my place.