Mom: Lauren has plans on Wednesday and Saturday that she can't switch around, so Thursday or Friday would be best for her. 

Thank you so much for consulting Lauren on her schedule and letting me know what is best for her. Like always. My thumbs jab at my screen: Let me check my work schedule. I might be able to make one of those nights work. At the house?

Mom: Yes, Lauren wanted Bodecelli's for dinner so I am having it catered in. 

I groan. I hate Italian food. I especially hate eating it around my mother because she notes the amount of bread I inhale and frowns if I get anything draped in cheese. But what Lauren wants, Lauren gets. There is no reason to argue. 

Great, I'll check my work schedule and get back to you. 

I hear the front door shut and know Jack is back. I have to shove my mother from my mind and focus on one panic attack at a time. I think back to my Jack dilemma and wonder if I am ready for all the chaos dating Jack could ensue. 

*********

"Yeah, I think we should keep this a secret," I tell him as I press my head into his comforting palm. He blinks away his shock and then asks, "What? Why?" 

"Just until I can talk to my parents about New York and all that. I don't need them finding out I jumped into anything weeks after I ended my engagement before I speak with them face to face," I confess but I watch as Jack takes a step away from me. I don't add that I also don't want to broadcast anything until I talk to Stella. She'll shoot me straight and tell me how to navigate not fucking this up. 

"Are you sure you want me there then? Will I only make things worse?" 

"They'll be nice to me if you're there and limit their questions. They won't want to linger on Blake and my failed attempt at marital bliss." 

"Uh, yeah I guess I probably should have asked you about that before assuming anything," he says and he drops his hands into zip-up pockets. He's looking so damn sexy in his running shorts and zip-up. I know he runs with his shirt off so he must have put his sweater on when he ran his errands. Which included getting me a matcha latte. I definitely swooned when he showed me that he remembered my order. It really is the little things that made me fall head over heels for this sexpot. 

"I think we have a lot of things we need to ask before assuming anything of each other," I tell him and he nods. 

"Want to go get food then? Ask all of our questions over bloody Mary's"

"Yes, I have now decided that I need alcohol and bacon."

"Do I need to take you anywhere to get some stuff?" He asks me and I can't believe I haven't been dwelling on the fact that half of my life is gone. I've once again been so consumed with Jack that I forgot that I can't do half of my spring break assignments without a computer and I can't upload any baking videos without equipment. I pull my phone out to check my Venmo balance and see that Steve did send me more than I had initially paid. It's barely going to cover the cost of a new laptop and I groan. I might have to ask my parents for money. I'd rather walk over hot coals and through a mile of spider webs before I ask my parents for anything, but there is no way I can afford to cover half of what I need. 

"Lucy, I am here for you. Utilize me please before combusting," Jack says and he must have seen the stress that just covered me. I drop my head back and cover my eyes with my hands. I let out a dramatic moan before saying, "Yeah, I'm definitely going to need a few things but I might have to wait to talk to my parents before I can go get a computer or a camera."

"You're not seeing them until the end of the week, are you going to need anything before then?" He asks and I am annoyed that I'll have to wait another week to bake and I am going to have to scramble to complete my assignments. 

"Can I just borrow your computer for school? I can record videos on my phone, I just need baking supplies. Can you take me to, I dunno, Target?" 

He nods, "I can take you wherever. Just tell me what you need." I stare at him. I need a lot of things from him, trust and reassurance being the biggest. But he came last night, no questions asked. He offered to let me stay here rent-free, he accepted my dinner invitation and he's offering to take me to Target. He hates Target. Maybe he is ready for a serious relationship after all. Maybe he does understand what it means to be a boyfriend. 

"I need basic life essentials," I tell him and he smiles. 

"Let's go get cleaned up then," he says as he tugs on my hand to lead me to his bedroom. If I wasn't hesitant about sleeping with him, I would have made a shower joke or offered to spend the few hours we have before work getting to know each other under the sheets. But I run my eyes over him as he walks in front of me and I know I need to keep my guard up. If there is one person who has the power to completely shatter my heart, it's Jack and I don't think I should let him possess that power so easily.