Chapter 15 - Escape and Killing Spree

Start from the beginning

The sunlight blinded Ty-Die for a moment and he squinted, taking a step back into the shadows. He looked at Theo and then behind him at Thomas, raising his eyebrows. The two nodded, slipping onto the ground and walking out toward the sunlight. Ty-Die watched as smiles slipped onto the boys' face and laughter found its way out of Theo's mouth. Thomas raised his face toward the sky, basking in its glow. Ty-Die couldn't help the smile on his face as he watched the twins.

We don't have time for this. You guys need to get moving. The creature inside Ty-Die ordered and he nodded, beckoning the boys to follow him. He stepped out into the sunlight, the ground beneath his feet digging into his skin. Ty-Die looked around, seeing he was in an alley way. Cautiously he peaked out toward the street, seeing people bustle by and not give him another glance.

"Come on boys." Ty-Die ordered, slowly making his way out toward the crowd of people. He was about to step out when he noticed something and he stopped, gently pushing the other two boys back.

"We need to get some new clothes. People will notice us more when they see what we're wearing." Ty-Die explained to the young boys, nodding his head to their ratty clothes. Thomas looked down at his shirt, giving it a small tug and shaking his head. Theo only looked at Ty-Die in confusion.

You need to hurry up, boy. The voice barked and Ty-Die pulled Thomas closer, forcing the boy to look him in the eye.

"You need to do me a favor, Thomas." Ty-Die ordered, his voice serious. Thomas slowly nodded, cocking his head slightly to the side.

"There's a man I need you to get for me." Ty-Die began, making sure he had the boy's attention before he continued, "He goes by X-ray or just X'. He's been staying in the abandoned church about a mile down from here. You need to get him and tell him to meet us by the river outside of town with some clothes. Do you think you can do that for me?" Thomas was silent for a moment before he nodded, a determined look in his eyes. Ty-Die grinned, feeling relief wash through him.

"Get going and be careful, I'm sure there'll be a bounty on our heads before long." Ty-Die advised and Thomas nodded again, turning around and dashing into the crowd of people. Ty-Die watched him disappear before standing up, reaching down and taking hold of Theo's hand. The little boy looked up at Ty-Die, confusion and uncertainty in his eyes, Ty-Die tried to give him a reassuring smile but he knew it wasn't promising. He had a small child and getting him to the river wasn't going to be an easy task. If anything it was going to be impossible.

Ty-Die slowly edged toward the crowd, knowing he was going to have to stick close to the shadows so others wouldn't pay too much attention to them. He kept his grip firm on Theo, knowing if he were to release the boy he would probably be lost in the sea of people next to him. About to continue on, Ty-Die froze when he felt someone tug on his tattered shirt. He looked down, seeing Theo motion for the ex-Alpha to pick him up. Theo did as the boy wanted, helping him up onto his back.

"Don't let go." Ty-Die order, holding on tightly to the little boy as he continued on his slow trek.

People barely paid Ty-Die any mind as he slowly walked down the road, knowing it would take longer than expected to get to the river. Yet at the same time it was better to go on the streets. He didn't know another way to get to the river. If he had to go the long way he would rather than getting lost.

"Someone's coming." Theo whispered in Ty-Die's ear and the man glanced over his shoulder, not able to see anyone that was particularly watching him. But there was a certain amount of sincerity in Theo's voice that Ty-Die couldn't bring himself not to believe him. He nodded, gripping the boy tighter and continuing to walk closer to the stone buildings.

People around him walked by as if nothing were unusual, occasionally giving him a bump in the shoulder or on the side. Theo held Ty-Die even tighter, making a noise a child made when they were scared. Ty-Die gave him a comforting grunt, keeping his head low as he continued to walk. He was beginning to feel as if everyone were watching him and he was sure Theo was right about someone following him. Now he could almost feel someone's gaze on his back.