Chapter 76 • Birds And The Bees

Start from the beginning

"Not at all," I reply, pushing my sunnies further up my nose and a cell phone chime rings throughout the room.

"Uh, yeah, hello? Hello? Irene? Yes, I can hear you, darling," the older gentleman says and I take a sip of my coffee.

"Hi, Mister," the little girl says and I can tell she's standing right in front of me. "My name is Tabitha. What's your name?"

Knowing that her grandfather is in the same room, I decide to answer her with a smile. "My name's Harry. It's nice to meet you, Tabitha."

"I'm this many."

"How many fingers are you holding up?"

"Four."

"Four? So am I!"

She giggles, "My mummy's have- have- having my baby sister today. My baby um, baby sister is in my mummy's tummy right now."

"She is?" I ask in interest for her sake.

"Mhm. Is your mummy having a baby, too?"

I smile in her direction, "No, not my mummy. It's my wife. We're expecting twins. We're here just to make sure everything's okay so they won't be born today."

"Oh. What's twins?" she asks and I wish her grandpa would get off the damn phone.

"That means she has two babies in her tummy at the same time."

"Two babies!" she gasps and I hum in answer. "How did the babies get in there?"

"Uhm, I, well, I-"

"Oh dear. Tabitha, come here, darling. Let's not bother the nice man anymore. Colour the pictures in your book over here, please," the grandpa kindly scolds. "Again, sir, I'm so sorry about that. I had to take that call. It was my wife."

"It's fine. And don't worry, I wasn't going to tell her about the birds and the bees."

He chuckles, "Thank you. I don't think her parents would be too happy about that."

"Mr. Harry?"

"Yes, Tabitha?"

"How will you, um, how will you see your babies if, if, if you can't see?"

"Tabitha Irene, come back here," the grandpa scolds. "My apologies again, sir. She's quite the curious type."

"It's not a problem, really. I've endured much worse from my older sister," I add so he won't feel as bad and I take a sip of my coffee.

"Mr. Styles, you can come back in the room now."

I look in the direction of the voice I recognize as Spencer and smile in relief, "Wonderful."

"Would you like me to carry your coffee?"

"Oh uhm, if you don't mind."

"I don't mind," he says and I hold out the cup and he takes it so I can stand up. I unfold my white cane and he guides my hand to his elbow.

"Tabitha?" I softly call out in the room.

"Yes, Mr. Harry?"

"You're going to be a really good big sister."

"Say 'thank you,' Tabitha," her grandpa sweetly urges.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," I reply with a smile and Spencer starts guiding me out of the waiting room.

"Seems like you made a new friend while waiting."

I grin, "Yeah, I guess. She's very inquisitive."