Part 2

The café was calm, a couple customers littered the tables, and soft autumn jazz music played in the background. It had been two days since your game of cards with the mob boss, you lost to him horribly, and he had chuckled at your slight pout. He let you go after your game, telling you that he would collect his prize later. A part of you hoped he had forgotten about you, but from the look in his eye as he puffed out a plume of smoke as you stood up, told you otherwise. The bell of the café door brought you out of your thoughts. Well, think of the devil. James strode into your café like he owned the place. He had gotten a haircut, his hair was sharp and demanded attention, and he was rocking a pair of aviator shades.

You stood a bit taller as he edged toward the counter. The soft clacking of his dress shoes thudded along with the beat of your heart, precise and loud. He flashed you a smile before his eyes roamed the menu behind you. The air felt thick as you tried not to stare at the man across from you. He leaned forward, his elbows resting on the marble counter, and he rested his chin on his gleaming metal fist.

"Pretty place you got here, sweetheart." He said lowly. "I'll take the pumpkin spice cocoa."

You didn't trust your voice, so you just nodded your head and went to work. You could feel his eyes on you, burning into the back of you head, but it wasn't exactly unpleasant. Taking a deep breath, you turned around and walked back to the counter with his drink. Before you could set his drink down, his flesh hand wrapped around your hand and the cup, and he bore into your eyes. At least, you think he did, you couldn't see past his dark sunglasses. He held your hand a bit longer before bringing the cup to his chest.

"Thanks, darling. Tonight, at 7, sharp, I'll pick you up. Dress nice." He said as he took a sip of his cocoa. "Mmm, absolutely delicious."

He tossed a twenty-dollar bill on the counter, telling you to keep the change. He started to walk toward the door when you called out, "Wait!"

He turned around, a smirk on his lips, as he rose his eyebrow.

"Don't you need my address? Or at least my number, so—"

"I'm the King of Brooklyn, sweetheart, I know everything." He chuckled before exiting the café.

Your employee, Natasha, walked toward you after she cleaned one of the tables. "Care to tell me what I just witnessed?'

You put the twenty-dollar bill in the cash register, "I, uh, think I have a date with the mob boss of Brooklyn."

~~~~~~~

Your doorbell rang at 7 sharp. He wasn't kidding about the time. Opening the door, you were graced with the beauty of James Barnes in a slick black suit. He was holding a bouquet of roses, and you could see his shiny gold watch peeking beneath his sleeve. He whistled as he looked you over.

"Looking great, princess." He complemented as he handed you the flowers. "I saw these on the way over and knew they had to be yours."

You took the flowers from him with a nervous smile. "Thank you, Mr. Barnes. I'll put these in some water. You, uh, look nice too."

He gave you a lopsided grin. "Thanks, sweetheart. And you can call me Bucky. Mr. Barnes makes me feel old."

You nodded as you followed him to his car. It was a sleek black color and the moon reflected off it nicely. Bucky opened the door for you, and you took a seat inside. Bucky walked around and sat on the other side of you as he told the driver to go. You were nervous beyond belief. He was a mob boss for crying out loud, and he knew where you lived. You didn't even think you were important enough to be noticed by someone like him, and now he was taking you on a date? Rubbing your hands together nervously, you quickly glanced in Bucky's direction. He was staring at you with a playful smirk, his blue eyes taunting you.

"No need to be nervous. I promise I won't hurt you. Just relax, okay?"

"Easy for you to say, you're one of the most feared people in New York. I'm just me, and it's been a while since I've been out with someone other than my friends." You said looking at your hands.

"Might I remind you, sweetheart, that you lost our little card game and now I'm the keeper of your cards." He said edging slightly closer to you.

"What does that even mean?"

A chuckle rumbled out of his chest. "It means, my dear princess, that you are mine now. I hold all your cards. If I want you to do something, you'll do it. If you want someone out of your life, you tell me, and it's done. You're in my world now."

Your eyes widened at his words, and you scooted away from him with a scowl, a newfound energy bubbling inside you. "That's not fair! I deserve to run my own life! You can't just do that."

"I can and I will. You lost the deal, sweetheart." Bucky said with a cheeky grin.

The car stopped and Bucky's driver opened your door. You stepped out of the car quickly, a frown settled upon your features. You knew walking into that club was a bad idea and making that deal with him was an extremely bad idea. What were you thinking?! Bucky held out his arm for you, but you just glared at him. His eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Turn that frown upside down, sweetheart. No one likes being angry." He said bopping you on the nose before walking toward the restaurant entrance.

~~~~~~~

The menu was your only cover from Bucky's prying stormy eyes. You felt out of place in the fancy restaurant, with pompous people chatting about useless gossip. Soon, soft thrumming filled your ears, along with occasional little clinks. You peered from the side of your menu to see his fingers tapping against the table. A couple rings adored them, and you wondered how you didn't notice his rings earlier.

"Did you figure out want you wanted?"

His deep voice snapped you out of your thoughts, and you hid behind your menu again, your eyes scanning the laminated paper. "They don't have pizza at this overly fancy place, so no."

"I can get them to make you a pizza for you, what kind do you want?" He asked sincerely.

Why was he being so nice to you? That was supposed to make him irritated. You sighed and shook your head. "I'll just have whatever you're having."

His mouth twitched up into that stupid smirk of his as he folded up his menu. You folded your menu and set it down, knowing that there was no way out of interacting with him.

"I hate you, by the way." You said before taking a sip of your water.

He clasped his hands together, and you got a better look at his sparkling rings. "Hate's a strong word, sweetheart. At least get to know a guy."

Before you could retort anything back, the waiter came to take your orders. Bucky told the waiter your orders and when he turned back to look at you, his eyes softened. Your breath hitched as you stared at him. What have you gotten yourself into?