FORTY EIGHT - I was worried for his life

Start from the beginning

“Lee is alive, but he is in comatose right now.” Dee tells me and I almost jumped out of bed if she had not stopped me.

“You have to rest,” Dee tells me. That was when I noticed the tubes that had been inserted on my hand. “You have been asleep for almost two days so you need that. And you need to rest still.”

“I need to see Lee!” I insist.

“And then what?”  She asks me. “It’s not like when you go see him he’ll immediately wake up. And what if in the middle of our way there you collapse again?”

“I need to see him!” I tell her. “I need to tell him something.”

“You want to tell him you love him.” She says. “I know what you are going to say. You’ve been saying it in your sleep. You’ve been saying it repeatedly.”

“I need to tell him… I need to see him.”

“Tell him that if you can already stand,” she tells me. “And it’s not like he will die soon. Lee is strong I know that.”

“What if he dies?” I shout. “I want him to live but what if he dies? I want him to at least know I love him.” Tears started to fall from my eyes again. “I wanted to tell him how sorry I am for pushing him away, for running away.”

“Lee is not going to die.” Dee comforts me.

“You don’t know that.” I say feeling hopeless. I know Dee is not going to let me go out. I’ve seen him die. I held his dead body in my arms. You don’t know how it felt.” I lay down as tears blur my vision and then there was nothing.

“It was all just a dream.” Dee said. “Now go back to sleep and maybe you’ll have a better dream this time.

A loud sound brought me back to consciousness. I open my eyes to see Dee standing, while talking to some people. Her back was facing me and they were near the door.

“What was the commotion all about?” Dee says in a soft volume of voice, almost in a whisper.

“Lower your voice.” I recognized Miko’s voice. Miko is Kristin’s brother and is one of my friends. The last time I remember he was still back home. “We don’t want to let Cassie hear the news.”

“Oh my god!” Dee says. “Did Lee, did Lee…”

“Lee is on a flat line…” Tello says. “The doctors are doing what they can to bring him back, but the probability is very low.”

“No, Lee can’t die!” Dee says. “I just told Cassie that he will live. He can’t die.” I feel the pain and pity in Dee’s voice. That time no tear fell from my eyes.

Lee is dying. I don’t know what I feel anymore. I don’t feel like crying. All I want is to know what is happening. I sit down. I remove the tubes that are burrowed deep into my skin. I see blood coming out of my skin as I removed the needle. But I did not feel any pain. They must have heard me since the three turned towards my bed.