Untitled

I still remember the song that played during our last night together. It was in your car. We were on our way to your condo. I was taking you home one last time.

"If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world."

You hit pause and without looking at me, you said: "Sana pwede, no?"

"Ang alin?" I asked.

"Kalimutan ang mundo" sabi mo.

And it kills me because I can hear your voice breaking.

I knew I had to say something, but I am out of words.

Instead, I stopped the car and parked on the side of the street.

I looked at you and held your hand.

"I'm... I'm tired of chasing. Sometimes I wonder if any of it was even true. It's like we're homesick of a place we're not even sure existed."

Naramdaman ko kung gaano kabigat para sa'yo ang mga binitawan mong salita.

You just stared blankly at the windshield with tears falling down your face.

I gently tightened my grip on your hand trying to reassure you that I am right here. I am still here.

"Napapagod na akong maniwala tuwing binibitawan mo ako kapag kalaban na natin ang mundo. We're not Jade and Althea. We can't just relive those memories and believe that those were our own. Drop the act."

You were whispering but those words echoed like thunder striking, burning every cell in my body.

I couldn't say anything in return.

I was unsure.

"Sinubukan ko naman."

Hindi ka sumagot, instead, you played the music again and turned the volume up.

It was loud.

It was heavy.

I was freezing cold.

---

Ours was a story in my mind that I have been living over and over again.

You were a lesson that I haven't learned.

You were a feeling that I haven't felt.

You were a past that I've yet to experience.

You were a home that I have never been to.

Completely new—ours was a story they've never heard.

Oddly familiar—ours was a love only we have known.