The Mirror

"'Mirror, mirror, on the wall, Who in this land is fairest of all?'

The mirror answered:

'You, my queen, are fair; it is true.
But the young queen is a thousand times fairer than you.'

Not knowing that this new queen was indeed her stepdaughter, she arrived at the wedding, and her heart filled with the deepest of dread when she realized the truth - the evil queen was banished from the land forever and the prince and Snow White lived happily ever after."

Y/n closed the storybook and smiled at the excited kids sprawled across the library's reading carpet. Reading to the local kids had become her favorite pastime between college and work.

"Miss Y/n, could you please read another?" Mary, one of you younger girls, asked, pulling gently on her shoe string.

"I'm sorry Mary, but I have to get to work." Y/n frowned sadly at the children's disappointed faces.

"Not even one little one?" Bart whined, staring up at you with big eyes.

"One more!" the kids began to chant.

"I'm sorry guys, but I really have to go," she stated, beginning to stand up. With the action, the kids only grew louder.

"Heh-" Y/n rubbed the back of her neck at the mini revolution.

"Stay!" the kids yelled, running around the library. They began to yank at her shirt.

"I'm sorry but I said no!" Y/n panicked at a loose kid grabbed her bag and ran off cackling. "Every time," she mumbled, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"ONE TWO THREE!" a voice called, causing the kids to freeze.

"EYES ON ME!" they chanted back.

"Always creepy," Y/n stated, turning around to see Darla, the head of the outreach program, and a personal friend. "Thanks though." She smiled at the younger woman.

"Don't mention it," Darla said as she ushered away some of the kids. "Theo, give Y/n her bag back." The young boy pouted but begrudgingly handed you your bag.

"Thank you Theo," Y/n smiled, patting the young boy's head.

"Your candy didn't taste very good," he stated, sticking his tongue out.

Darla and Y/n shared a look. "I don't even want to know," Darla said, shaking her head. "Go read a book." She shooed away the young boy before turning back to Y/n.

"I'll count my tampons when I get on the subway." Y/n cringed, recalling the last time a kid ate some of her 'candy'.

"Oh, before you go-" Darla touched your shoulder and motioned towards a young girl who stood in the magazine section. "that's Dani. She's new to the program. Around fourteen." The girl was a bit on the taller side with shaggy blue hair. She was a bit chubby, reminding Y/n of herself.

Y/n observed the young girl, noticing her tentatively pick up a Vogue magazine before quickly putting it back. She sucked in her gut and looked around the other magazines. "The puberty age in the magazine section can be the worst."

"I think she might need to hear one of your stories," Darla stated.

"I can make time for that." Y/n threw on her bag and approached the girl. She came up next to her and admired the magazines.

She glanced at Dani before grabbing the magazine she had been looking at previously. "Wow, Vogue. Hm, they're doing babies now."

Dani glanced at her before nodding tentatively. "You're Y/n, right?" she asked.

"Yeah, and you are?" Y/n turned to fully face the girl.

"Dani," she said, smiling briefly. "I've seen you reading to the other kids."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, you seem pretty cool."

Y/n grinned. "Flattery is a pretty good way to my heart," she stated. "You seem pretty cool too, based on the hair at least."

Dani smiled and looked down sheepishly. "I did it myself."

"Dude, that's so cool!"

Dani smiled wider at the complement.

"So, what're you doing looking at the magazines?" Y/n asked. "Looking for new Harry Styles pictures?"

"I'm ace actually," Dani chuckled sheepishly. "And, just looking at new diet plans."

"Oh? Been feeling icky with your current meal plans?" Y/n asked.

"No, just wanting to loose some weight. Try and look like the girls on these magazines." She stared at the magazines, in her own little world.

"Can I tell you a story?" Y/n asked after watching Dani for a bit. She motioned to one of the nearby library tables.

"Like the ones you tell the little kids?" Dani asked skeptically. She sat at the table although.

"Not exactly," Y/n chuckled. "It's one of my own actually."

"Alright, just a little bit though," Dani said. "And only because you seem cool."

"I'll take it," Y/n chuckled. "Now believe it or not, this story starts hundreds of years ago."