ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟺

Start from the beginning

Toshinori's mouth falls open like a fish desperately in need of water. He can only stare in shock at the fake, pitying look the Hero President gives him.

"I know this is hard for you Toshinori, she was like a daughter to you, but we have to do what is best for the country-"

He did not come here to be talked down to like a child, Toshinori's gaze turns fierce as he slams his fist against the desk, "Finding her is what's best! You think knocking her off the ranks will calm this country?! It will only make them think we have lost hope of finding her and they will lose hope as well!"

The Hero President stands from his chair, adjusting the cuffs of his jacket and loosening his shoulders in one fluid movement. He walks over to the glass wall overlooking the city, gazing down at the people walking the streets below. So, many lives at stake if the wrong decision is made.

"Shuta, showing that we haven't given up on her will give the people hope. We can't give up yet," Toshinori pleads, standing as well and striding over to join his old employeer.

The blond male catches a glimpse of the other man's eyes brightening ever so slightly in the reflection of the window before they are covered by his hand, massaging the skin of his temple. A moment later, Shuta sighs solemnly and places a hand against the thin back of the past Symbol of Peace, patting twice before moving away to his desk once more.

"I hear you Toshinori," The Hero President starts, giving hope to the other man, "And, I will do what is best for everyone."

The two men exchange a small smile at that, and Toshinori nods along, walking back to the chair to gather his few things so he can finally head back to UA while thinking the issue is resolved. "Does this mean you'll give me more men to search?" He questions as he straightens his back, towering over the president.

"I can only spare a few."

The Hero President nods to the screen on his desk, displaying the current crime rates in Japan. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the numbers are significantly higher than before your disappearance. Toshinori nods in understanding, knowing that heroes are still needed to protect the citizens of this country and don't have time to search for a missing hero. No matter how valuable of an asset she is.

"Thank you, Shuta," Toshinori tells the man, stepping forward to shake his hand. The other man smiles in return, the softness of it not reaching his glimmering, dark eyes like that of a spider spinning a web. With an exchange of goodbyes, Toshinori leaves feeling better than before.

•••••

Date: October 19, XXXX
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Location: UA Campus

As the smell of pork and fried rice wafts through the air, Class 3-A prepares for dinner, bumping and shoving into each other to try to be the first to make their plate. Toshinori watches from the side, smiling ever so slightly at the rowdy bunch of students. It reminds him of the monthly dinners you have at Hakamata's apartment. Not that the hero family had one this month, they all agreed it wouldn't be the same without you nor would it be right. The thought dims his mood a bit, but the smile still remains on his boney face.

A moment later, the elevator doors slide open with a 'bing!' to reveal Kirishima dragging Bakugo by the back of his shirt across the common room to kitchen, a tentative smile on the redhead's face.

"I brought Bakugo!" He cheers, presenting his friend like a trophy to the class.

The others in the squad greet the pair and strike up a conversation that Bakugo couldn't seem less interested in, continuing to flip through the files in his hands. It doesn't take long for everyone in the class to filter through the line and grab a plate, taking their seats in the dining area in groups of five to six students each.